Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aston War Memorial (do you live nearby?)

Laird of Camster

Ladies/Gents,

Does anyone live near to Aston war memorial?

If so I`d be in your debt, if next time your passing you could ascertain for me whether - 51566 Pte Leslie William COLDICOTT 1st Devonshire Battalion is listed on it or not. His service papers don`t appear to exist, but I believe I`ve found him on the 1911 census (aged 11) as living in Aston. Soldiers died states that he was born and enlisted in Birmingham. His mother was living in Craven Arms in 1922, but he is not listed on that memorial. As his papers are lost, I`m hoping that if I can find him listed on a memorial somewhere, I`ll be able to then search the local press.

Thanks for your time in advance :thumbsup: .

Hi

Just for your information, he is NOT on the Birmingham RoH

http://www.hallofmemory.co.uk/search/

I do not personally know of a RoH in Aston BUT there may be one inside a church etc.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

That is a blow to my research. I fear that the trail might be getting cold. If he`s not on the Aston RoH, and he`s not on the Craven Arms memorial either, I may never find out where he was from? Interestingly I`ve tried to find his service papers, and although there are numerous COLDICOTT papers available, I can`t seem to find any for Leslie William?

Gordon.

I am totally confused. I`ve re checked the 1911 census. There are only two Leslie COLDICOTT`s in the country listed and both from Birmingham, but only one Leslie William COLDICOTT (the other is Leslie Arthur born in 1897 so is to old). Leslie COLDICOTT is given as 11 years of age (so the math works out), But his mother is given as Katie Mary (no father) he has a brother and a sister both younger than him. They all lived together at 170 Alcester Street, Birmingham. I`ve also checked the census for anyone called Hyde from Craven Arms and there is no one. So I have no idea why the CWGC give his mother as Mrs N G Hyde of Craven Arms. Unless he was adopted perhaps? Gordon.

post-93093-0-97359700-1381758092_thumb.p

Edited by Laird of Camster