Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alain-Fournier - Tottygraph

Steven Broomfield

An interesting comment piece in today's Tottygraph.

Like Mr Massie, I re-read Le Grand Meaulnes every few years and I realise now it is due back off the shelf. If you've not read it, do so now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/10374009/Alain-Fourniers-Twilight-Eden-that-gave-way-to-the-trenches.html

Steven,

I've had Le Grand Méaulnes for a nujmber of years without reading it., but I listened to the BBC Radio play many years ago. Likewise I heard Le Rouge et le Noir by Stendhal and RAZETSKY MARCH by Joseph Roth. This book I had just finished reading and when I put on BBC Radio 4 I heard the play. Marvellous to hear jolly upper-class accents when you imagined melancholy Austrian voices.

Keep up the good work, Radio 4 !

All the best,

Fred

Thought the description of the book sounded familiar. I read an English translation of this years ago. Might give this newer translation a go sometime, now I'm older and wiser (allegedly)

Interestingly he was killed at Vaux (Meuse) in September 1914,

post-48281-0-59847100-1381757359_thumb.p

Edited 17.22 14/10/2013 Vaux-les-Palameix (SE of Verdun, not the commune that included Fort Vaux)

I'm not sure how the body was specifically identified but I think it was in the 1990s and he was then reinterred in a military cemetery

Ink-stained fingers, probably.

Just to be confusing I have seen it translated into English under four different titles: Le Grand Meaulnes, The Lost Domain, The Wanderer and The Lost Estate!

My copy (which I can't find) was a Penguin edition from about 1978, and called Le Grand Meaulnes.

I shall have to re-purchase (using the Forum Amazon link, of course) the new edition.

My copy (which I can't find) was a Penguin edition from about 1978, and called Le Grand Meaulnes.

I shall have to re-purchase (using the Forum Amazon link, of course) the new edition.

Those books that you know you have on the shelf, and yet when you seek for them - zut alors ! - they are not there.

Where do they go ?

Even worse is the knowledge of a passage in a book which will answer a Forumista's question - but which book? And which page ?

The translation I read was The Lost Domain. In my kindle copy of 'The Discovery of France: Graham Robb', Fournier comes up about eight times using the search. There are details of his death, burial and also a mention of a planned route that will be named after him 'Route du Grand Meaulnes'. Also the classroom used as a model for the book is now apparently a museum. According to the author, Fournier's platoon were all from Gers in south-western France and he was killed leading a reconnaissance patrol into the woods south of Verdun.

Those books that you know you have on the shelf, and yet when you seek for them - zut alors ! - they are not there.

Equally irritating is the ones you find TWO copies of - Vile Bodies (Evelyn Waugh) being the latest example to rear their ugly heads while I was searching for Fournier.

Equally irritating is the ones you find TWO copies of - Vile Bodies (Evelyn Waugh) being the latest example to rear their ugly heads while I was searching for Fournier.

Maugh Waugh than you bargained faugh, I should say.

Radio Faugh is running "Sword of Honour" as a serial at the moment.

Maugh Waugh than you bargained faugh, I should say.

Radio Faugh is running "Sword of Honour" as a serial at the moment.

Saughd, shurely?

Is that Radio Faugh a Ballagh?

Cheers Caryl: I was trying my O Level French out last evening on that link you supplied. I'm afraid my French is a bit TOO O Level ...

Stoppage Drill,

When is the SWORD OF HONOUR broadcast on Radio Four?

I remember listening in the nineties and enjoying it very much, much more than reading it again a couple of years ago.

Does it still begin with the song "I'm gonna hang my washing on the Siegfried Line/ Have you any dirty washing, mother dear?

Cheers,

Fred

• 2 weeks later...