Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 Princess Mary's Christmas Tin

Guest Hill 60

I have 3 of the 1914 Christmas Tins that I've picked up over the years, unfortunatly none retain their contents!

The other day I noticed that there are subtle differences between them and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

One of the tins has the words 'Christmas 1914' in smaller lettering than the others, how many variations are there?

Lee

Lee,

A while ago I found a website on the Xmas tins, it was contained some in depth research. If you are not aware of the site (alas I'm can't remember the name off hand), let me know, and I'll track it down (I have it written down somewhere).

The variation I think had something to do with the different factories producing the tins.

Jim

• 10 months later...

i know this is a really old thread.

but i cant help but say this my dad does house clearances and has uncovered a very nice mary tin STILL IN ITS CARDBOARD BOX!!!!!!!!!!

its the officer issue with a pipe with a silver rim.

All for the low low price of £20 :lol:

Are there any known photographs of soldiers receiving their tins in 1914?

See below, the only known photograph of soldiers receiving their gift tin from Queen Victoria in South Africa 1900, during the Boer War.

post-8-1065110661.jpg

I've got a lot of photographs of my father in RAF uniform NOT getting a tin in World War II.

Seems KGVI was a bit tight compared with his dad and grandma.

Are there any known photographs of soldiers receiving their tins in 1914?

There is a photo in the Osprey Campaign Series # 58, 'First Ypres 1914' by David Lomas. Page 93 shows a soldier signing for his tin and a quantity of other soldiers waiting for theirs.

The labels on the boxes containing the tins says (some words are un-readable) 'Princess Mary's Christmas Fund Gifts' above '56'.

he knew it was a mary tin but he didnt want to pay £20 he thought it was a bit deer. nearly had a heart attack.