Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marilyne

I have one question: on all websites about Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery in Poperinghe I find the same thing: there is one non-war burial on the cemetery.

I did not record that info during my visit.

can somebody help me out and tell me who this is and how it comes he is on that cemetery???

Thanks.

MM.

Marlyne,

I believe it is Thomas McGrath, a Sergeant with the Chinese Labour Corps during the war, later working for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Thomas died on the 23rd April 1920.

R'ds

Sajackr

Thanks for the answer,

Are you sure?? The only Thomas McGrath on Lijssenthoek, according to the CWGC database died in 1916...

MM.

Does that medal card really say "Deserted 17/9/19"?

Seems a bit cruel to withold medals on that basis as it was after hostilities ceased. (Yes, I do appreciate I am being naieve here). Who was the enemy at that time?

Would love to know the story as to why he ran away!

Regards

Ian

Does that medal card really say "Deserted 17/9/19"?

Seems a bit cruel to withold medals on that basis as it was after hostilities ceased. (Yes, I do appreciate I am being naieve here). Who was the enemy at that time?

Would love to know the story as to why he ran away!

Regards

Ian

Quite a few men deserted after the Armistice and although medals were initially withheld, many got them in the 1930s after attitudes had softened. All they needed to do was to sign a form admitting their crime and no further action was taken against them. I presume many thought that they'd signed on for the duration of the War and wanted to get their lives back once the fighting had stopped.