Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Insignia Query

LEUZEWOOD

Apologies if this appears a slightly 'lazy' post about a common query, I have searched elsewhere on the forum but haven't had my queries answered definitively.

I have two simple questions.

1. The attached photo is of my Great Uncle Fred Jeffries. He joined up with the 1/12th Londons in France on 24.10.16, and later transferred to the RASC on 29.4.17. I am assuming he saw out the duration of the war from then on - I have no evidence to suggest otherwise.

I think that the chevron on his left sleeve is for 2 years 'good conduct', but was this regardless of which unit he served in, but purely his time served in the army? I am trying to put a rough date on the photo which must have been 1918 at least and perhaps even taken at demob in 1919?

From the photo I'm not sure if his chevrons for 'overseas service' are visible on his right sleeve - would this be the case?

2. Are there any definitive manuals, books, resources etc on WW1 British Military Insignia? I'd like to know on a regiment by regiment basis what cap badge, shoulder titles, sleeve badges, battalion, divisional, rank insignia etc etc a soldier may have worn on his uniform?

Many Thanks

Tom

post-77311-0-74909300-1381667104_thumb.j

He is wearing a Army Service Corps cap badge plus a 2 year long service stripe. Strangely, no Shoulder titles are being worn. The other thing of note is that he wearing a so called "Walking out" 1908 Pattern webbing belt which I believe appeared around 1918. This belt is thinner than the standard '08 belt.

I cannot see that he wearing any Overseas Service stripes.

As for my favourite books on the subject
"Head-dress badges of the British Army" Volume One by Hugh King and Arthur Kipling (The Badge Collectors Bible)
"Military Badge Collecting" by John Gaylor
"Collecting Military Shoulder Titles" by Ray Westlake
"British Army Proficiency Badges" by Denis Edwards and David Langley

For Divisional Signs, I use a variety of sources including a set of Player Cigarette cards.

Hope this helps

Sepoy

Care needed with good conduct badge ...... yes, cumulative service regardless of unit, yes two years, BUT the next one was at five years so you have to say "up tp almost five years.

Hi Tom, the belt is 03 pattern ''webbing'' variety which came in in April 1917 and does appear to an 08 walking out, as its far too narrow.

regards

Dave

Hi Tom, the belt is 03 pattern ''webbing'' variety which came in in April 1917 and does appear to an 08 walking out, as its far too narrow.

regards

Dave

I agree. I think it is a '03 pattern belt in web too.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Just to be clear the RASC did not exist during the war, it was only given the Royal prefix after the war, for services rendered.........