Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Journey's End, TV film by Michael Simpson

Jim Hastings

Dear All,

Having been in PM conversations with Michael Lucas, author of 'The Journey's End Battalion, The 9th East Surrey in the Great War' (well recommended), over the last few days re: draft movements, I thought I'd see if JE was available on youtube/similar. Saw It a few years ago in ten minute snippets, but here it is on youtube complete, and thought I'd share with other forum members that may be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDHV-S_AFrI

I thought Osbourne ,Stanhope and Trotter were played brilliantly

All the best

Jim

PS Michael told me the forum's Taff Gillingham was a technical advisor for a 2011 stage version and did a brilliant job (as per usual!!)

So who was in the dugout?

Here is one man whose obituary is in Wisden 1919:

LE FLEMING, LIEUT.-COL. LAWRENCE JULIUS (East Surrey Regt.), born at Tonbridge, June 3rd, 1879, was killed March 21st, after having been wounded twice during the war. He was twice Mentioned in Dispatches. Le Fleming was in the Tonbridge XI in 1896, when he headed the batting with an average of 28. He played for Kent in one match in 1897, and seven matches in 1898, but did not meet with much success for the county.

Le Fleming was indeed killed 21/3/18,leading 9/East Surrey . He was a long serving regular officer of the Regiment and I can't see that he was the model for the Colonel in 'Journey's End.' Not only because he only arrived after Sherriff had left the battalion, but because on p.173 of the paperback edition of the novelised version of J.E.( which Sherriff wrote with Vernon Bartlett), the Colonel is described as a 'decent little country squire' who had joined the Territorials and doesn't feel able to stand up to the regulars of the Staff over the Raid. Ironically, Sherriff wasn't still serving with the battalion in 3/1918,but was back in England, and the raid which he said he'd used as a model for the play was actually a highly successful one by 9/East Surrey , back in January 1917.

Michael

Michael

Thank you for this clarification of Sherriff's whereabouts before St Quentin. I had assumed he was there alongside Le Fleming.

I suppose none of the men were actual models for those in the play and the characters were a mix of the men he came across.

Le Fleming as you will know was special, since the regimental history records his death: “So died, in the fearless performance of his duty, a gallant and accomplished soldier. Lawrence Le Fleming was widely known as an athlete, particularly in the cricket field, and universally liked (indeed, a stronger word might be used) for his very attractive and modest character. He had done fine service in the war with Germany, having commanded three battalions of the East Surrey in times of heavy trial… Daybreak of March 22 was attended by a thick fog. It was decided to bring in Lieut-Colonel Le Fleming’s body, and Pte Turner, a ‘runner’ of C Company, volunteered to take a party out for the purpose. The body was brought in and carried to the dressing station at Villecholles. Pte Turner, a brave young soldier, was subsequently killed.”

I did see the play: it is exactly 50 years since it was staged at my east Kent school.

Regards

Andrew

I did see the play: it is exactly 50 years since it was staged at my east Kent school.

Regards

Andrew

I saw it at the Whitehall in 1988, with Jason Connery (Sean's son) as Stanhope, and Nicky Henson as Osbo(u?)rne.

It was well done. The closing moment showed the collapse of the dugout with a thunderclap of sound which, I admit, made me jump out of my seat. A very memorable moment.

Did anybody else see that production ?

Andrew,I agree Le Fleming was special, as was his predecessor, de la Fontaine, kia August 1917.

Models for Sherriff's characters have been suggested. I first found three identified in a clipping at Surrey History Centre some years ago .I elaborated on this in an article in 'Stand To! in December 2009. I extended and updated this work for my book 'The Journey's End Battalion'. Briefly, of the chief models for the main characters, two at least were with the battalion in March 1918.Captain Godfrey Warre-Dymond(Stanhope) was captured in the battalion's last stand in March 1918; and Captain Archie Douglass, nicknamed'Father',( 'Uncle' Osborne)- died of wounds received in March 1918, and is buried at Ealing.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

Having been in PM conversations with Michael Lucas, author of 'The Journey's End Battalion, The 9th East Surrey in the Great War' (well recommended), over the last few days re: draft movements, I thought I'd see if JE was available on youtube/similar. Saw It a few years ago in ten minute snippets, but here it is on youtube complete, and thought I'd share with other forum members that may be interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDHV-S_AFrI

I thought Osbourne ,Stanhope and Trotter were played brilliantly

All the best

Jim

PS Michael told me the forum's Taff Gillingham was a technical advisor for a 2011 stage version and did a brilliant job (as per usual!!)

Jim

Thank you for posting this, it is such an excellent production. The play is revived so often on stage and is always a huge success, I'm amazed it hasn't been filmed again for television. I teach the play at GCSE and the students love it. Perhaps the centenary will nudge film makers in its direction.

David

I think it is brilliant David, but, like you, do hope a new version of it is made too. By the way, an old friend of mine is an English / Drama teacher too and he's borrowed Michael's book (although I fear that 'borrow' may turn into 'permanent loan' in recompense for helping me with Chaucer in the mid-1980s lol!!)to get a greater insight into Sheriff's war and the characterisation

Cheers

Jim

I think it is brilliant David, but, like you, do hope a new version of it is made too. By the way, an old friend of mine is an English / Drama teacher too and he's borrowed Michael's book (although I fear that 'borrow' may turn into 'permanent loan' in recompense for helping me with Chaucer in the mid-1980s lol!!)to get a greater insight into Sheriff's war and the characterisationCheersJim

Jim

I teach History and English so I get the best of both worlds (Warhorse to Year 7, Private Peaceful to Year 8, Journey's End and war poetry to GCSE!)

Your friend might also like to look at 'Famous 1914 - 1918' by Richard van Emden which has a very good chapter on Sherriff. It's particularly good on the difficulties Sherriff had in getting a commission.

David

• 8 months later...

A sparse

IMDB page

that does at least give the cast.

According to one poster in the message boards the 1930 version might also be available on Youtube.

Moonraker

Lt-Col. Lawrence Julius Le Fleming is one of the men remembered on the Tonbridge War Memorial whom I am researching. His obituary published in the local paper is of interest:

Extract from the Kent & Sussex Courier 12th April 1918

LIEUT.-COL. L.J. LE FLEMING KILLED IN ACTION

The sincerest sympathy is extended to those left to mourn the loss of Lieutenant – Colonel Lawrence J. Le Fleming, East Surrey Regiment, who was killed in action on March 21st. he was 39 years of age, and was the sixth son of Mr and Mrs Le Fleming of Leelands, Tonbridge, and married in December 1914, Frances, eldest daughter of Dr and Mrs J. A. Frend, of Rosario, Argentine Republic, who died in July 1917, leaving two infant daughters. He was educated at Tonbridge School, where he was in the cricket eleven in 1896. Obtaining a commission in the East Surrey Regiment in 1899, he served in the South African War 1899-1902, and being present at the Relief of Ladysmith and the Battles of Colenso and Spion Kop, and taking part in subsequent operations in the Transvaal, in the Orange River Colony, and in Cape Colony, he received the Queen’s Medal with five clasps and the King’s Medal with two clasps. He was promoted to Captain in 1905, and Major September 1st 1915. At the outbreak of war he held an appointment at the R.M.C. Sandhurst, but relinquished this to go on active service in October 1914, and was severely wounded at Zonnebeke, October 31st 1914, and again at Richeburg L’Avone, April 9th 1915. On recovering sufficiently from his second wound he was appointed in August 1915, to the command of a Company of Gentlemen Cadets at Sandhurst, and though he applied to be allowed to return to the Front, remained there as a G.S.O. until April 1917. At the inspection before he left Sandhurst he was thanked and congratulated on the work he had done there by the Duke of Connaught. In the summer of 1917 he again went out to France as acting Lieut.-Colonel to take command of a battalion of the East Surreys. He was mentioned in dispatches for service in France in 1915 and again in February 1917, and promoted to be Brevet Lieut.-Colonel June 3rd 1917, for services rendered in connection with the war. The gallant officer was a well-known cricketer, and had played for Kent County, the Blue Mantles Band of Brothers and The Foresters.

Dave Swarbrick

Mike

Mike

Thank you for this. I've always wanted to see the original version but have never seen it either on DVD or on You Tube.

There is going to be a new version made with a who's who of British acting being lined up to play the key roles (although I suspect that will result in Stanhope being too 'old' which is the main sin of many productions)

David

Wow, excellent-pleased to see both film versions now available. Also saw the 2011 stage production and thought that it was magnificent. Appreciate the links.