Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing MM on headstone in Contay

Peter Woodger

Hi

5463 Pte J Hayes MM of 2nd Royal Munster Fusiliers is buried in Contay British Cemetery Plot I row A grave 7. His date of death is 30/08/1916 and SDGW says he died of wounds. His battalion came out of the line on 25/08/1916 and did not go back in until 09/09/1916. He is the only Royal Munster in Contay and there are only 4 other 1st Division men there one of whom died 19/11/1916 and the other three in January 1917.

The original 1922 register, the current on line register and SDGW all recognise his MM but there is no recognition of it on his headstone.

Was his MM gazetted late, ie between the engraving of his headstone and the issue of the 1922 register or is this an admin error?

Peter

Morning Peter,

I have had a similar experience when researching the Walsall men, but cannot recall who it was offhand.

Heres Hayes LG

page.pdf

(on as HAVES on the search)

Regards,

Graeme

Peter - I cant imagine that to be anything other than a simple post-war admin error, and I'd be very surprised if the Commission even raised an eyebrow about correcting it now.

You will be aware that there are lots of re-engraving projects going on at the moment so now will be the time to mention it.

Tom