Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 Bayonets

5thBatt

Had a good day at the Ted Rodgers auction in NZ yesterday, picked up a 3 '16 Sanderson with no clearing hole & markings N over NR over 285 on the Pommel & a 9 '18 Mole which goes nicely with my 3 '16 Mole :)

pmuj.jpg

6ykj.jpg

yjyq.jpg

hqgk.jpg

OK you bayonet experts out there, research has me puzzled :unsure: from what i can find not only is my 1916 Mole outside Mole production but my 1918 should not be.

"Thought you may like this snippet of information about 1914-1918 War bayonet production.
When Wilkinsons closed swordmaking, there was a mass of papers &c. that did not go to the Royal Armouries Library, considered junk! Amongst them were Sword production records of Robert Mole from 1865 to 1877 and 1890 to 1919. It shows Mole's 1907 bayonet production. They made the Patt '07 bayonet from 1908 to 1911 and then in 1914 and 1915 only, all their efforts being transferred to 1908 Pattern cavalry swords which they made every year from 1908 until 1919 with the exception of 1913."

OK you bayonet experts out there, research has me puzzled :unsure: from what i can find not only is my 1916 Mole outside Mole production but my 1918 should not be.

"Thought you may like this snippet of information about 1914-1918 War bayonet production.

When Wilkinsons closed swordmaking, there was a mass of papers &c. that did not go to the Royal Armouries Library, considered junk! Amongst them were Sword production records of Robert Mole from 1865 to 1877 and 1890 to 1919. It shows Mole's 1907 bayonet production. They made the Patt '07 bayonet from 1908 to 1911 and then in 1914 and 1915 only, all their efforts being transferred to 1908 Pattern cavalry swords which they made every year from 1908 until 1919 with the exception of 1913."

5thBatt

You did exceptionally well at that auction, and picked up some excellent bayonets.

Your March 1916 dated Pattern 1907 bayonet was part of the 24,800 Pattern 1907 bayonets which R. Mole and Sons of Granville Street, Birmingham delivered by April 1917.

And it is estimated that by the end of the War, Mole had made a total of 60,000 Pattern 1907 bayonets, which means that for the period May 1917 until the end of the War, Mole made a further 35,200 pattern 1907 bayonets, of which, your 1918 dated bayonet was one.

Regards,

LF

I also picked up a couple of interesting P07s the other day.

* HOOK QUILLON BY ENFIELD MADE APRIL 1912,NORMAL 3 INSPECTORS MKS TO RICASSO JOINED BY A SOLD OUT OF SERVICE MARK.CROSSGUARD MARKED "22323" SAME NUMBER REPEATED ON LIP OF LOCKET.NO OTHER MARKINGS. Any ideas ,my thought sold to Australia?

*1917 made P07 Pommel marked to "TJFF" (Trans Jordan Frontier Force ,post WW1 UNIT largely recruited from Arab Legion).

*Hook Quillon by Enfield Sept 1913 Pommel stamped " 12 "

R.I.R.

same number on top of locket face.With original frog .(12th R Irish Rifles carried the hook quillons on July 1st 1916 when they took horrendous casualties at Thiepval Wood)Unusual issue to a Service Bn?.best w, Howard

I also picked up a couple of interesting P07s the other day.

* HOOK QUILLON BY ENFIELD MADE APRIL 1912,NORMAL 3 INSPECTORS MKS TO RICASSO JOINED BY A SOLD OUT OF SERVICE MARK.CROSSGUARD MARKED "22323" SAME NUMBER REPEATED ON LIP OF LOCKET.NO OTHER MARKINGS. Any ideas ,my thought sold to Australia?

Where is the Sold out of Service mark located.? If it's on the side of the pommel than it could be an Australian bayonet. The numbers sound right but I'd be looking for a letter or MD prefix.? You can also check out this thread HERE and see if you notice any similarities with how your example is marked.

Cheers, S>S

Thanks SS for that most interesting Aus thread. I have posted an Aus hook details I have to that thread.

Regards this one,the SOS Mark is on the ricasso on the same side as the WD ARROW,3 Inspection marks and bend test.There is no trace at all of a letter prefix on the bayonet or scabbard throat lip.Date is 4 '12 by EFD.There is no sos mark to reverse of pommel/ best w, Howard

So doesn't sound like an Australian issue to me, the SOS mark is always found on the pommel with those. Perhaps Canadian ... they used numbers on the crossguard.?

Cheers, S>S

Thanks for the thought SS.HOWARD