Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas septimus silverton

Jscott1

I am trying to find out how my great uncle died - he was a sergeant in the 9th northumberland fusiliers and is buried in the Danzig cemetery on the Somme. He was awarded the military medal in 1915. Wondered whether war diaries were available to find out how he died - 2nd August 1916. Wanted to do a school assembly on him for remembrance week.

War Diary is not digital yet but I will try to get a look at Kew next week. Reference is WO95/2013/1.

9 NF fought with 52 Brigade of 17 Division at Delville Wood at the time of your GUs death.

Hi Sotonmate - thats really kind of you! Thank you.

I have visited the grave several years ago with some of my students and was told the cemetery was a site of an old field hospital, so not sure

if he was taken there as wounded or what. He is buried very close to the top end on the cemetery, which is interesting as from these forums. i have learnt

that these were the original graves and that the graves in the lower part were probably soldiers who were re-buried from other places.

I will start having a look at Delville wood now - i had wondered whether it was this or Mametz.

Rgs

Judith

Js

Dantzig Brit Cem was used as a Field Ambulance area. Mametz was captured by our Armies earlier in July 1916 so definitely Delville which was fought over from 15 Jul to 3 Sep. Your subject,killed in action according to Soldiers Died in the Great War, is indeed buried in Plot 1 so an original burial,and you are right,there were removals from several other cemeteries of the Somme after the Armistice.

Hi

According to SDGW he was 'Killed in Action'.

Westlakes 'British Battalions on the Somme' states

"Entrained at Hangest-sur-Somme for Mericourt (23/7) and from there to camp near Dernancourt. Moved up through Fricourt to trenches between High Wood and DelvilleWood (1/8). Failed attack on Orchard Trench (4/8)."

Hopefully sotonmate can fill in the gaps but, from Westlake, it looks as if he was a victim of 'normal trench warfare' ie shelling/sniping.

Regards,

Graeme

Js

I have some pages from the War Diary and will send them on receipt of your e-mail by PM here.

Hello

Thank you to you both for helping me with this. I have been researching Delville Wood and have found thomas on the roll of honour.

Knowing it was orchard trench has been really good and again I have been looking at maps.

I have been sharing these posts with my Y 9. History group and they are equally fascinated by the bits we are finding out.

My email is (removed by moderator)

Very grateful to you both

Rgs judith

Pages sent,plus a message from General Douglas HAIG himself !

• 9 years later...

Hi All, my name is Neil Silverton, I am Thomas Septimus's great grandson any info would be greatly appreciated, I am currently on holiday in Northumberland as the pull for me is very strong up here, there doesn't appear to be any extra info at Alnwick Castle, Edmund (Thomas's brother) also died in WW1 as far as I can make out, aboard a support ship at Gallipoli and has a plaque at the Gallipoli Memorial, Turkey, again any more info would be appreciated l. I have done quite an extensive family tree if anyone is interested, my email is (removed by moderator) 

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Jscott1 hasn’t visited the forum for many years. My tag may alert them to your post. I’ve removed your email address from your post. It’s never a good idea to put information like that on a public forum, as spammers can gather it.
I’m sure members will be along to help you soon. 

20 minutes ago, Neil Silverton said:

I am Thomas Septimus's great grandson any info would be greatly appreciated, I am currently on holiday in Northumberland as the pull for me is very strong up here

Welcome to GWF

If you are anywhere near Blyth there some addresses that might still be in existence/be of interest to you. ???

From pension records at WFA/Fold3:

Thomas SILVERTON, 12884, 9th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers

Widow Mary, b.26.3.81, and threee children [William b.8.107, John b. 3.309 and Mary b.30.9.11] were living at 5 Mawburn Terrace, Cambois, Blyth

Edmund SILVERTON, KP 990, Anson Bn, RND / RNVR

Father, John, b.1845, living at 5 Boca Chica, Cambois, Blyth, and step-mother, Mary-Ann later living at 6 Aged Miners Homes, Cambois, Blyth - makes me think their father/her husband might have been a miner!

M

If you are up in Northumberland then maybe worth visiting Cambois, there is a T. Silverton  and a E. Silverton named on the Cambois Column  War Memorial

located at St. Andrews Church,Unity Terrace, ,Cambois, Wansbeck,Northumberland, NE24 1QX.

Info ifrom the IMW Memorial register. No pictures available of the memorial on the Register .

Edited by Toontraveller
Amended Road name.

Copy of photographs of Cambois Memorial from the Geograph website. Appears to be in poor condition.

3A31F9CF-2B8E-4B8C-82A9-E5FEE0BCB870.jpeg

57595B9A-A96C-4A4A-9FFF-5390F47648E1.jpeg

Just had a quick scan of the North East War Memorials Project at newmp.org.uk. 

just search for Silverton and it will take you to a few pages including a detailed write up of Thomas Silverton including two pictures.

They also have more information on Edmund Silverton.