Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Southport & Ainsdale Golf Club

BereniceUK

The Peace Trophy. A big thank you to the gentleman who very kindly got the trophy out of the display cabinet for me.

DSC05217_zpsdc357f8f.jpg

DSC05219_zpsbe7fe120.jpg

DSC05222_zps706fbae6.jpg

DSC05226_zps89c1e5e3.jpg

DSC05227_zps3e0cae16.jpg

No, there was nothing visible on the scupture or base. UKNIWM has M. & G.T. Mitchell as being the foundry or sculptors but I can't find anything about them online.

Bernice

There's something really evocative about the sculpture; it makes me think of a soldier taking off his pack for the last time, thanks for posting the pictures. Do you know if it still competed for?

Pete.

P.S. I've just noticed your latest book purchase. I've taken Marilyne's advice and started reading "the Times" with my first cup of coffee in the morning. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I am doing.

There's something really evocative about the sculpture; it makes me think of a soldier taking off his pack for the last time. Do you know if it still competed for?

UKNIWM says "THE SOLDIER IS WEARING A CAP WITH THE BADGE OF THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGIMENT. HE IS DEPICTED IN THE ACT OF SHRUGGING OFF HIS KNAPSACK, SIGNIFYING THE END OF THE WAR."

My guess is that it isn't competed for as, unlike the other trophies I saw in the display cabinet, there are no former winners named on its base. Perhaps if anyone from GWF goes there to play a round they could ask? (or I'll pop in next time I go to Ainsdale)