Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with cap badge please

ProspectRoad2021

Hi, could someone please help me with an ID for the attached cap badge? The man in question came from the North East.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Regards

Pete

post-26976-0-14638300-1381590119_thumb.j

Go along with the suggestion of the Y and L. Coronet above a rose above a tiger known as the "cat and cabbage" Ralph.

Hi, could someone please help me with an ID for the attached cap badge? The man in question came from the North East.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Looks to me like 'The York and Lancaster Regiment' It has a crown on the top, a rose underneath that , with a tiger in the centre. It also has York and Lancaster on the scroll area. The Regiment had two regular battalions before 1914 I think, and the 1st Battalion came over from Jubbulpore sailing from Bombay for England arriving 23rd Dec 14. (Could be why tiger?). According to my book of British Regiments - Joined 83rd Brigade 28th Division landed at Havre 17/1/15. Oct 1915 to Egypt and then to Salonika in early Dec. 30/9/18 Macedonia; Tronovo, near Bulgarian frontier north of Lake Doiran.

Hope this helps. Mike

York & Lancaster Regiment. 1st Battalion (65th Foot) granted the badge of the Tiger in 1822 on return after lengthy service in India.

Nicknames: The Royal Tigers, The Twin Roses, Cat & Cabbage, The Young & Lovelies, The Twin Roses,The Ickety Pips (Apparently from the Maori pronunciation of 65th in the Maori wars).

2nd Battalion (84th Foot) Nicknames: The Young & Lovelies, The Rabbit & Geranium, The Cork & Doncaster

Here it is in detail:-

post-91995-0-66420800-1381609785_thumb.j

Lovely badge lots of history shame it was disbanded in 1968. As earlier post formed from amalgamation of 65th, or 2nd Yorkshire, North Riding Regiment and 84th, or York and Lancaster Regiment. County affiliations 65th 1782 and 84th 1809. All that history!

Sorry for slow reply and thank you all for the info. York and Lancs it is. The gentleman in question was wounded in France and suffered the amputation of an arm and leg.

Best regards

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hi

Apologies if this has been posted in wrong topic forum or maybe someone could possibly point me in the right direction??

i'd like to enquire if anyone would be able to answer the following question from my dad?? I've tried searching Google, but presently been unsuccessful :-(.

"Why would another member of the Royal Lancashire / Lancaster Regiment wear a lanyard on their left shoulder whilst serving in 1914 - 1918 war??"

Many thanks

Stephen Moore

Lanyard had the pocket knife attached to the end and carried in left breast pocket.

Lanyard had the pocket knife attached to the end and carried in left breast pocket.

In my day it was invariably a bottle opener Mark!