Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Champion - How many on board -sailors and marines ?

JOSTURM

My Grandfather was a Marine on board Champion from 1916 to 1920. I have recently acquired an excellent photograph taken on 24th November 1918 with about 120 men on board - most are Able Seaman, some are Naval officers and its easy to pick out the Marines.

My question is....how many would have been on board a Cruiser like Champion in 1918 after the armistice. Is this a photograph of the ships company in which case my Grandfather is definitely in it. But, if the ships company was many more than 120, is this just a photo of some of them ?

I attach the photo which has unfortunately been compressed a lot as it would not upload at 300dpi, so its difficuly to see the detail.

There are 21 Naval "Officers" - Peaked Caps and Collars/Ties

There are 13 Royal Marines (Ranks)

There are 80 + Sailors

Many thanks

Any comments and observations on this photo are very welcome also.

Its a postcard sent by "Wal" to his Aunt on 24.11.18 and says:

"My Dear Aunt,

Just a few cards showing different stunts etc, now the censorship has been removed

I shall be able to send some on. Will get a few of the Hun's fleet. i am in good health. Hope you are well. I am on the photo so look carefully. Best of Love Wal."

Thanks

post-9565-0-23922900-1381582373_thumb.jp

Warships of World War 1 [No.2 Cruisers] by H.M. Le Fleming gives a complement of 325 for the Caroline class. The Cambrian class which included Champion were a similar size to the Caroline class.

Thankyou kindly both.

So presumably this photograph would have been tsken of about a third of the ships company. Which third, or would it have been an indiscriminate gathering. Maybe some were on leave as the ship was in port ?

Any idea on the cirumstances ?

Thanks

Peter

Peter

There are Ship's Logs at Kew. If he sent the pic on 24 Nov 1918 it might have been taken in Oct or Nov. The files are :

ADM53/37545 Sept : 37546 Oct : 37546 Nov.

By that time probably at base port which will be determined fom the Logs.

In the photo there is a rating sitting down in the centre holding a board, The picture Is too small to read, can you tell us what it says, it might give a clue.

The December 1918 Navy List gives a total of 27 officers listed against Champion.

Thanks. I've managed to rescan at 100 dpi to get under the GWF limit.

Its not a board - its an Officer sitting behind a big round metal thing (which I'm sure has a nautical name).

post-9565-0-92009800-1381669991_thumb.jp

see also my 17 x shared photographs of HMS Champion under Ships and Navies section.

Josturm.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. I've managed to rescan at 100 dpi to get under the GWF limit.

Its not a board - its an Officer sitting behind a big round metal thing (which I'm sure has a nautical name).

attachicon.gifScan.jpg

That would be a mushroom vent I think