Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RSM Finch, Grenadier Guards

Dust Jacket Collector

I've just bought a copy of H. A. Foley's 'Three Years on Active Service' and stamped inside on several pages is a single, rather florid, capital 'F'. I have some 6 or 7 books stamped in this way and I remember being told long ago that they're from the library of RSM Finch of the Grenadier Guards. He was clearly quite a collector as the stamps are invariably on some of the finest memoirs. I don't know his initials which makes searching for him rather difficult (at least for me) . Any information would be much appreciated as would hearing what other books members might have from his collection.

I have at least two books with the "f" stamp, " Salute of Guns " and "The Tale of an Old Soldier" , because my copy of "Salute" is from a private lending library I had assumed

that the stamp was something to do with them, although my copy of "Old Soldier " has no other marks and is appears almost unread. Congratulations on finding a copy of

" Three Years " by the way, there can't be many copies of it out there.

ps. I also had a copy of Haslam's "Cannon Fodder" which I think had the "f" stamp on it and that was from a private lending library also.

I've been searching Google but the only Finch I can find of similar rank was killed at Inkermann so I'm guessing that's not him! I was speaking to Tom Donovan yesterday who also thinks the 'F' belonged to the Sergeant-Major but knows no more. I'll have to search my library as I'm sure I've seen more information somewhere.

Yes the Foley is a rarity but then it did cost a pretty penny. It's a fascinating read but he doesn't betray much emotion about what are often some fairly traumatic events. It's almost as if he's recording his average day at the office!

I've looked through my books and found a copy of Clapham's 'Mud & Khaki' that belonged to Finch. In this one he's added a printed sticker which says :-

' Sergeant W. H. Finch. MM. Grenadier Guards '

It seems I need access to paid sites to find out more so if any subscriber could take a look I'd be most grateful.

As an aside I wonder why these commercial firms were allowed to annexe this kind of data in the first place. One would have thought such information should be freely available to all.

I've been searching Google but the only Finch I can find of similar rank was killed at Inkermann so I'm guessing that's not him! I was speaking to Tom Donovan yesterday who also thinks the 'F' belonged to the Sergeant-Major but knows no more. I'll have to search my library as I'm sure I've seen more information somewhere.

Yes the Foley is a rarity but then it did cost a pretty penny. It's a fascinating read but he doesn't betray much emotion about what are often some fairly traumatic events. It's almost as if he's recording his average day at the office!

That is interesting, I have often wondered what the "f" stood for.

A medal card for 19017 William H Finch Pte, GG the only one I can find that fits this criteria, a note on the back of the card suggests that he was a metropolitan policeman, no note of the MM.

Many thanks rjaydee. That must be him, presumably the medal & promotion came later.

Vol III of Ponsonby's History of the Grenadier Guards has a 19017 Acting Sergeant W H Finch of the 4th Battalion being awarded an MM and a Guards Division Certificate for Gallantry. Apart from that he seems not to appear

Fantastic, it's good to be able to pin him down at last. It's a shame that his desire to read the accounts of others doesn't seem to have inspired him to write his own.

Thank you both, that's a huge help. What a brilliant resource this Forum is!

• 1 year later...

On a copy of "GOG : The Story of an Officer and a Gentleman" by Arthur Fetterless:

post-110514-0-26277800-1441385933_thumb.

post-110514-0-20778400-1441385941_thumb.

Thanks for posting that, Resurgam. Another one to add to the list. I think that's some 20 volumes from his library I've now seen. And well done on finding a copy of 'Gog'. I recently bought the follow up 'Battle Days' but that one eludes me.