Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Duxberry Baldwin

rokermanc

I have information that Harry Duxberry Baldwin died at Gallipoli, but was buried at Alexandria in Egypt. He died 20th Oct 1915 and he was a Gunner with the 11th Division Ammunition Park Royal Field Artillery. Could this information be correct?

Hi Graeme,

Yes I the CWGC information, but I also have information from ancestry stating he died fighting in Gallipoil.

What I am asking is can this be right. And if it is why get buried thousands of miles from where they died

Hi

He did not die in Gallipoli, he died of his wounds in Egypt. he was possibly wounded at Gallipoli BUT you would need to see the War Diary to see where the 11th Div., Ammunition Park, RFA were serving.

I think you have seen the SDGW on Ancestry

post-10072-0-93804800-1381581050_thumb.j

Regards,

Graeme

Hi (again)

You most probably already know this if you have been on Ancestry, but he was drafted overseas on 9 August 1915 (Balkans)

Regards,

Graeme

The Long, Long Trail at http://www.1914-1918.net/11div.htm has -

11th (Northern) Division

On 12 June 1915, the Division received orders to prepare for service at Gallipoli.

Embarkation took place at Liverpool from 30 June, with much of the Division sailing on the Aquitania and Empress of Britain. Mudros was reached by Divisional HQ and 32nd Brigade on 10 July. On 6-7 August 1915 the Division landed near Lala Baba at Suvla Bay.
On 19/20 December 1915 the Division withdrew from Gallipoli and moved to Imbros.