Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stunned - VC bar as a gift

stevem49

I hope this is allowed and in the correct place (It is WW1 related)

This morning the post arrived - a letter from Hazel Greaves, daughter of Fred VC. (Oct 4th 1917)

Out fell a VC medal bar with a letter saying ' I would like you to have this miniature medal that my father wore when he did not were his VC medal'

I am absolutely stunned. Hazel is a lovely lady who I met when writing the history of 9th Bn SF. We have kept in touch ever since with occasional visits and regular phone calls.

The medal bar has a small VC on it - was this normal?

Off to get a strong coffee!

Steve M

Hi Steve

Yes the bar does have a small VC in the middle, nice.

How about a picture of them!

regards

Robert

Yes, a picture would be good!

There was not enough postage so I should have paid £1.19 extra but they let me off - must be my birthday :)

(Although I have just had a bill from the Kid of £2000 for her Borneo D of E Gold trip next year)

Don't know about the place, but it is a lovely story. A photograph would be much appreciated, and how kind of the lady, who could surely have turned even this miniature into quite a large sum had she so wished, but who chose to pass it instead to someone she had come to respect.

One to treasure.

Keith

Yes, a kind gesture indeed, this must have been such a surprise. Looking forward to the photo?

Anne

Get it on eBay. :whistle:

One lucky, lucky man!

Such a kind and generous thing to do, we all know how much you appreciate it, and i'm sure that's what she wanted for it.

Presume this is an official issue item similar to the rosette that came with the "Mons Star" bar?

Presume it is in the same metal as the VC itself? It must have significant value.

i think there was an Army order in 1917 to instruct the wearing of the miniature on the ribbon when the medal itself was not worn. Chavasse would have worn the ribbon with 2 miniatures, I think.

Would a current VC winner also use this ribbon distinction?

You must have made a terrific impression on her!!!! :hypocrite:

Very nice to have such an item which can be directly linked to a VC recipient.

Here is one picked up years ago in a junk shop locally recipient unknown.

post-48147-0-38822000-1381610667_thumb.j

Philip OMRS 943

Decent image.

I also have photos of him and various records (machine gun course etc)

Something I will forever treasure.

The bar is one and half inches long. Mini VC is 3/8th by 3/8th. (don't do cent litres!)

I would imagine that most of these mini medal ribbon VC's go along with the main medals when they are sold or are donated to a museum.

So those that "escape" must be rare - rarer than the actual medal?.

This thread cheers me up.

Miss Greaves obviously wanted the satisfaction of knowing that she was giving the ribbon and facsimile to someone who would truly appreciate it, and Steve seems to be a very deserving recipient.

The Germans have a saying, "Geteilte freude is doppelte freude" - pleasure shared is pleasure doubled - and that's the case here.

I guess that Hancock's make the ribbon adornments and might well be pleased to know where it now is, especially if they (and miniature Crosses) are made from the original bronze ingot. They certainly keep tabs on the full size medals.