Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Corporal Norman Hirst from Brighouse

Mark Hone

One of the lads coming on our Twentieth Anniversary school tour next year has a relative, Corporal Hirst of 1/4th Duke of Wellington's, who died in August 1915 and is buried at Colne Valley Cemetery, Boesinghe. If possible I would like to track down a photo and obituary for this soldier to put in my guidebook. Can anyone put me in the right direction of the likely local paper and an archive where I could consult it?

Hi Mark

I don't know if you have seen his Service Record on Ancestry. It is incorrectly listed under 7166 instead of 4/1166, badly burnt, but definitely his.

Regards Barry

Thanks for this. I shall have a look at Ancestry. Family legend has it that his cousin Harold Hirst ( my pupil's great great grandfather), also of 1/4th was with him when he was fatally wounded and formed one of the burial party.

Edited by Mark Hone

Mark get in touch with DaveC on this forum he may be able to help.

I know the brighouse echo is on fiche at the library there and has lots of obituary notices in it.You may get lucky.If Dave hasn't anything let me know.

Ady

Hi Mark here's some info on Cpl Norman Hirst for you, I do have a photo of him but can't attach it to this posting i'll PM you with my email address Regards DaveC

Notes:

Battalion War Diary

13/8/1915: Enemy bombarded (trench) E27 at 12.30 p.m. One direct hit on parapet and several dugouts blown in ‘A’ Company (support) relieved ‘C’ Company in F30.

14/8/1915: At 4.45 p.m. enemy’s shell landed in dug-out in F30 killing 3 men and wounding 3 others (1 died soon afterwards.) Captain M. P. Andrews endeavoured to get one of the men carried across country to the communication trench, himself leading the way, under heavy fire. Before reaching the trench, Captain Andrews was killed by a bullet in the head. Stretcher-bearers L/Corporal. C. Wood, Pte. G. Holt and Pte. J. Shelley gallantly went to Captain Andrews’ assistance but their help was of no avail. They returned to the wounded man in the stretcher and got him safely, although he received another bullet wound. Lt. B. Hughes the Medical officer went over the parapet under heavy fire to attend Captain Andrews and the wounded man and assisted in getting him in. Captain. M. P. Andrews killed bullet wound head. No. 1679 Pt. C. E. Lee, killed Shrapnel in trench, No. 1166 Corporal. N. Hirst, killed, Shrapnel in trench. No. 1442 L/Corporal. J. Riach killed shrapnel in trench. No. 2965. Pte. J. T. Aked killed shrapnel in trench. No. 3174 L/Corporal. C. De Pledge wounded, in many places, shrapnel in trench. No. 1445 Pte R. H. Wood wounded in many places, shrapnel in trench.

15/8/1915: Funeral of Captain. Andrews and the other 4 men Cemetery behind Hd. Qrs. G.O.C. Brigade and Chaplain attended.

BRIGHOUSE TERRITORIALS DEATH.

CORPORAL NORMAN HIRST, OF CLIFTON.

Mr and Mrs J. B. Hirst, of Foresters Terrace, Clifton, have had extended to them wide spread sympathy in the sad bereavement which has befallen them in the death of their second son. Corporal Norman Hirst, of the First 4th West Riding Regiment, who has been killed whilst fighting for his country in Belgium.

Two letters were received on Wednesday. The one from “Men in the trenches” stated that “Norman was killed by shell here this afternoon (August 14th). He was in his dug out when a shell struck it, and he and two others were killed instantly.”

Sergeant McNulty wrote expressing sorrow and said, “I have to inform you that your son Norman was along with three others killed by a shell yesterday. I cannot put into words what my feelings are. He was always cheerful, willing and ready to do anything he was called to do.”

Corporal Hirst was a Territorial in the Brighouse Company prior to the war, and volunteered for active service. He went out to France on April 14th as Lance Corporal has since been promoted to Corporal whilst at the front. He was 21 years of age, was educated at Rastrick Grammar School, and when enlisted he was employed in the colour testing department of Messrs T. F. Firth and Sons, Ltd, Clifton Mills, Brighouse. All his letters home have had a cheerful tone about them, and he is a soldier who will be much missed in the battalion.

Major Sugden held a high opinion of the abilities of Corporal Hirst. The Major in a chat with a representative of the “Echo”. Said “Corporal Hirst was very keen in his work, very smart, and always cheerful, and a man whom I held in high esteem.

A number of sympathetic letters have been received by Mr and Mrs J. B. Hirst, the father and mother of the unfortunate young soldier

Lieut-Col. Chambers wrote on the 15th August: “Dear Mr Hirst; I very much regret to have to inform that your son, Corporal Hirst, was killed yesterday. A German shell struck a dug out in which he was, and he and other unfortunates were killed. His death was instantaneous, and is much deplored. He was such a bright boy, and so keen at his work. He was bound to have got promotion. I must tender you our deepest sympathy in the great loss you have sustained.”

The following is an extract from a letter sent by Private Archie Denham, of the same company, to Hirst brother: “I started writing to your father and mother, but I’ve torn it up. I hadn’t the courage to send it. If there is anything I can do for you at this end don’t fail to let me know. He is to be buried today just behind the firing line, and I will see that his resting place is looked after so long as we stay in this part of the country.”

The following has also been received from the ‘A’ Company, No. 7 section: “Dear Mr and Mrs Hirst. It is with deep regret that we tender our sincere sympathies on the loss of your dear son Norman. We who have worked with him day by day, and knew his brisk, cheery nature, feel that we have lost almost a brother. Please accept our heart felt regrets. On behalf of No. 7 Section, Norman Alexander Deighton.

Company Quartermaster Sergeant Charles Southern writes: “By the time you receive this note you will no doubt have been informed by our company officer of Norman’s misfortune. This morning I have sent all his personal effects down to the base, and you will eventually receive them from that quarter. Personally I feel the loss very much as he was one of our best N.C.O.’s one who always carried out any instructions to the letter. All the fellows sympathise with you and also realise the loss to the battalion. Very shortly we shall have a cross put up and give his resting place our very best attention. I shall only be too pleased to give what little assistance I can during this your great bereavement.”

Major Sugden has also written to Corporal Hirst’s parents, and states: “He was a most gallant little man, always cheerful and bright under the most depressing conditions, and an excellent soldier.”

Corporal Hirst will be very much missed at Clifton Church, where he was a most ardent worker. (Brighouse Echo 20/08/1915 p. 7)

LANCE CORPORAL HIRST.

Another of the Brighouse Company killed on Saturday was Lance-Corporal Norman Hirst, son of Mr. J. B. Hirst, of Foresters-terrace, Clifton. Before the war he was a member of the Territorials and at the outbreak of hostilities volunteered for foreign service. He then went to the front with the First Fourths. In civil life he was employed at Messrs. T. F. Firth and Co. Ltd., Clifton Mills. His father is an employee of the Brighouse Industrial Society, and the family are well known in the district. (Halifax Guardian Sat 21/08/1915. p. 5)

(Also mentioned in the history of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment by J. J. Fisher p. 104)

WAR MEMORIALS CPL HIRST APPEARS ON

Bailiff Bridge War Memorial; WW1. Clifton War Memorial WW1 & 2. Rastrick Grammar School; WW1 & 2. Roll of Honour and Furniture in library of Rastrick High School. Clifton, St. John the Evangelist Church WW1 & 2. . Bailiff Bridge, J .F. Firth & Sons Ltd, carpet weavers; WW1.

Wow, thanks Dave. Incredibly detailed information. I shall try to pinpoint the location of the trench. After all that it seems churlish to ask if there's a photo of him as well. Much appreciated.

HI Mark

Yes I do have photo, I've sent you a PM with my email address. I have a few personal diaries belonging to soldiers from the 1/4th, I'll see if they mention Cpl Hirst. Regards DaveC

• 4 weeks later...

The family have now provided me with a wonderful photo of Norman and his cousin Harold who served in the same battalion and was my pupil's great grandfather.

There was a service at Clifton War Memorial today...Its on the Halifax Courier website there is some video.. Normans name is clearly seen on the footage.

Ref the above reply from DaveC I was in contact a couple of years ago with Sgt McNultys family they still live in Brighouse area.

Ady

I shall be including the story on my next year's battlefields tour (our 20th anniversary tour) with Harold's great-grandson as a member of the party. We shall visit Colne Valley and I shall try to get as close to the site of the dugout as possible. I would like to get photographs of the other soldiers involved if possible. Was Captain Andrews a teacher at Harrow School? This is hinted at by his CWGC entry but it may have been another school in the area. There is an earlier thread about him but unfortunately the link to an ITV clip no longer works.

Dave C-I accidentally deleted your message giving contact details when I was trying to clear space in my mailbox. I PMed you but your box is full as well!

• 9 months later...

I am getting the guide book together for my October 2014 tour. I would like to include a photograph of Captain Andrews if possible in addition to the one I have of the Hirst cousins. Has anyone come across one? I think that this will be the first occasion in all of my battlefield tours that I shall be taking someone to a grave his ancestor helped to dig.

• 1 month later...

The current Headmaster of Hipperholme sent me an excellent photograph of his predecessor. A party from the school visited his grave recently. I would like to indicate the location of trench F30, where Norman Hirst was killed but I've temporarily lost access to my Linesman maps of the area. Could someone please give me an idea? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. We were able to visit Colne Valley Cemetery, despite indications that it might be inaccessible due to flooding. Thanks, Aurel for carrying out a preliminary recce before our trip! Harold Hirst's great-grandson duly stood at the side of the grave which his ancestor helped to dig while I recounted the story.

• 2 years later...

This is the other thread about Norman Hirst. I couldn't seem to past the hyperlink successfully onto the Colne Valley Cemetery one.