Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William D Stone 13th Battalion AIF, Died 4th Feb 1917, Stormy Trench G

johnston27

I am researching my uncle - William Daniel Stone. Died at Stormy Trench 4/2/17. Burial site unknown.

Have many war records, photos and postcards / letters from William to his sister Ruby Stone (my Grandmother).

Family lived in Tempe, NSW, Australia

Am looking for more photos, records or accounts from fellow soldiers who may have referred to William who was a jockey in real life and a bit of a larrikin judging by the reprimands for going AWOL a few times.

Any news on a grave for William would also be welcome.

Thanks

Vic Johnston

HI Vic

He does not have a known grave, this from CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1452116/STONE,%20WILLIAM%20DANIEL

I presume you have his records from NAA? You will see in them various pages which state he was wounded, then wounded and missing then KIA. Also a note of another soldier taking his personal effects. I would think he was wounded/killed near where the action was and was maybe buried in a temporary grave which was subsequently destroyed by further fighting. There is also reference to no grave being found after the war. You could also try searching NAA for photos on the 13th Battalion to see if he is in any.

regards

Robert

Vic,

Can only suggest you have a look through the Battalion History "The Fighting Thirteenth" by T.A White (which has no index) and a search through the local papers on Trove to see if he is mentioned in any letters sent to the papers at the time.

There is a diarised book of a 13th Battalion soldier, unfortunately he didn't leave Australia till February 1917 so not much help.

You could also contact the local historical society near Tempe. Most local societies are looking at the centenary now and they possibly may be able to help you.

Good luck.

Scott

Vic,

You are a very, very, very, very lucky man. It just so happens that I have the medals to your uncle 5454 Pte W.D. Stone, 13th Bn AIF. He was awarded the British War Medal (BWM) and Victory Medal (VM) and I have them both with what appears to be their original ribbons. Send me a personal message on this site or you can contact me through my website www.1staif.info. It is exceptionally rare to find lost rellies medals - I have been searching for some of mine for over 10 years and don't hold much hope.

This is a good news story and I hope that we can get his medals back to his family where they belong.

I was in Belgium and France last week and have only just got onto this forum again to seek info about another matter.

Very few of the AIF infantry dead in the Somme winter around Flers have a known grave, maybe 10%-20%. The mud was atrocious and resources were stretched just for men to stay alive and be supplied let alone to try and retrieve the fallen and take them back for a decent burial. From memory I read it was taking up to 8 hours for 4 men to get a wounded man to safety. It wasn't till after the spring thaw , the Germans had retreated and then the allies could go about the forlorn task of retrieving the scant remains of their poor old dead.

There is a unit history 'The fighting thirteenth". Also check out the red cross records on the AWM of 13th Bn soldiers who died on that day to give an overview of what happened.

Regards,

Len

Great news! This can't happen often!

Roger

Thank you to all who have responded and the great advice.

To Len I cant believe the medals are in one place. I will certainly get in touch.

My family had been told stories about William from as far back as I can remember by his sister Ruby (my grandmother) whose house I grew up in.. Under her bed she kept her treasure which were the letters, postcards and many other small mementos from William and his brother Percy ( who joined up on the same day but transferred to the 1st Lighthorse. Percy returned relatively intact so a lucky choice to follow his friend Jack Riley into the desert rather than to France.

The letters and Post cards paint a picture of adventure but also the reality of sickness and injuries these men suffered. To the loved ones at home like his little sister and father Edward those letters were very precious. His father wrote many times to the Army in the hope of finding his grave and his request still remains in the official war records at the Australian War Memorial.

William was one of 13 children and a jockey when he enlisted, from all accounts a very dapper dresser. Attached is a photo of William in uniform a post card to my grandmother, a picture with friends and his Jockey license

I have other uncles from the Stone family who also participated in WW2 in the Middle East and New Guinea. More stories to research.

Thanks and Regards to all

Vic Johnston

post-102624-0-13175700-1381631219_thumb.

post-102624-0-88944800-1381632547_thumb.

post-102624-0-27604700-1381632599_thumb.

post-102624-0-10904200-1381632667_thumb.

To Len

Many thanks again on the good news about Williams medals. We are not sure how they went missing from the family home but perhaps they were some of the items that one of the many sisters or brothers had kept after my great grand parents passed on. Alternatively they may taken from the house in the 60's when we had some burglaries. At that time Ruby lost many things that were precious like pocket watches and jewelry. Her bedroom was filled with many items from the family and the general store they ran in Tempe late 1800's to early 1900's.

We never knew all that was there until my Grandmother died nearly 30 years ago. I wish we had respected more what all all those things were. As a small boy they were interesting toys or junk. I am just glad that she told us all the stories so we have those memories to pass on to our kids and put the pieces of the puzzle left behind together.

For interest sake here are copes of the receipts for some medals signed by my Great Grandfather- Edward Stone. Also attached is his letter asking for clarification of Williams death and burial. William was wounded prior to his death at Stormy Trench and was sent back to the front with an injured hand. The family received multiple telegrams about wounding and MIA at different dates.

His father could not accept the vague and confusing advice from the Army's telegrams and letters. My dad said that this haunted his grandfather and that he was always a cranky and severe man.

Len I would be happy to share some more of these records with you for both William and Percy. Your website is a great place to remember them along with this great forum..

Regards & Thanks

Vic Johnston

post-102624-0-94287900-1381637153_thumb.

post-102624-0-27902000-1381637171_thumb.

post-102624-0-64659100-1381637662_thumb.

post-102624-0-82213600-1381638265_thumb.

His father could not accept the vague and confusing advice from the Army's telegrams and letters. My dad said that this haunted his grandfather and that he was always a cranky and severe man.

I'm not surprised to read that Vic, Sydney was a long way from the Western Front in those days and parents must have felt quite helpless.

Thank you for sharing the images of William Stone. I'm curious if William mentioned any other 13th Battalion soldiers in his letters or if he enlisted with friends?

I have written about a soldier who was amongst those reinforcements and embarked one month later. He was killed in late November 1916 and as with William was dearly missed by his family.

Scott

Hi Vic,

..and voila!

I have sent you an email but for those following this story...

Please find enclosed a photo of his medals and a little card that I made up. The blue chevron indicates up to one year of overseas service. The gold stripe down the bottom is a photo of a brass "wounded stripe" for when he was wounded at Mouquet Farm. Of course the blue rectangle is the colour patch of the 13th Bn AIF, 4th Brigade, 4th Division. He died 10 days short of being in the army one year.
This is a good news event and I am happy for you.
One of the frustrations of being a medal collector is trying to find info about your "men". In particular photos are hard to find so I'm glad to finally find out about William's life and see a photo of him.
Regards,
Len

post-35120-0-61422700-1381718621_thumb.j

This thread is a simple reminder of the power of the Internet when it is used for good.

It's wonderful to see the results of passionate people who care about theirs and, in this case, others families.

Great ending all round.

Congratulations Len and Vic and may your new friendship be a bond which helps others to find a name or a photo or a letter or whatever which creates a new link to the past and the future.

Jonathan

I'm not surprised to read that Vic, Sydney was a long way from the Western Front in those days and parents must have felt quite helpless.

Thank you for sharing the images of William Stone. I'm curious if William mentioned any other 13th Battalion soldiers in his letters or if he enlisted with friends?

I have written about a soldier who was amongst those reinforcements and embarked one month later. He was killed in late November 1916 and as with William was dearly missed by his family.

Scott

Scott

In the letters we have William often refers to his brothers Percy and Jack Stone and their close friend and brother inlaw Jack Riley.

William and Percy joined up the same day and their service numbers are only 1 apart. I am now trying to find out more about the others.

Percy and Jack Riley also wrote many times to my grandmother Ruby. At times they were seeking information about each others whereabouts as they seem to have been separated many times due to wounds or illness. Percy and Jack had transferred to the 1st Lighthorse and survived the war including the famous Bersheeba cavalry charge.

I have pictures of all of them and some info about their lives pre and post wartime. I knew them as uncles when I was quite young but was not close to them. My father was quite close to all of his uncles and Jack Riley.

Percy was a tram driver out of Tempe Depot where we lived and I can vaguely remember travelling with him into Newtown on an old O class (toast Rack seats).

None of them ever mentioned the war. Only my grandmother told us their stories and let us look at the bits and pieces she had in suitcases and boxes stored under her bead. I remember all the hat badges,buttons, some medals, postcards and pictures. Many of these are still in the family despite many being lost sometime in the 60's to a burglary.

I am very grateful to Len and all the others who have responded so quickly..I was only after some more info for my twin daughters school project. Now I have the family history bug big time.

My family is eagerly awaiting the return of Williams medals and amazingly emotional about someone who died many years before we were even born.

I will collect more photos and memorabilia from the family and create an album in this websites gallery for others to enjoy and learn about a big part of our history.

Thanks to all

Vic Johnston

Attached are some photos of Percy Stone and Jack Riley

post-102624-0-96208100-1381735418_thumb.

post-102624-0-48489700-1381736103_thumb.