Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Advice sought! Mk2

Andy

My wife and I are off to America for a couple of weeks in June, part of the holiday will find me talking at Indianapolis as a guest of Paul Guthrie and his friends. The subject will be my Grandfather who died of wounds in Abbeville in 1916.

I have every tiny detail regarding his war service and life before the war, but this where my doubts begin. What if I have made a few gaffs in my interpretation of Grandfathers story? What if I went over to Indy and let the side down? I met some of Paul's party in Ypres a couple of weekends ago, and they are VERY knowledgable in WW1 matters.

So this is my plea...is there anybody who lives in driving distance of Rochdale who would like to take a look at Grandfathers story and see if I have got it right? It's quite an interesting tale and it would be a pity if I made a hash of it.

I know Paul will read this and wonder who the heck he has booked for the Seminar but it would be great to know I am not making a Wally of myself when I start talking.

Regards, Andy Fitton, Rochdale.

Do you mean that file you lent me once Andy? If so, looked like sound and good research to me - and if I didn't say so before, then please accept my apologies.

Andy worries a bit more than he should. We researched together a MGC man who died in Kentucky while training US troops and he did a great job! We published an article in our journal and on WFA site under articles. I am not sure the articles are back on the site yet.

I hope someone can read this for Andy and ease his worry but he will be fine.

To Paul in France, yes it is the file I left with you last year and you did say you liked it! Thank you very much.

To Paul in America, dont worry...I'm just looking to fine tune the story, I thought another view or two may just increase my accuracy a little. I am sure there was once a message on here to an Officer who lives just up the M66, which is not many miles from here.

One last word for Paul in France, we were captivated by your daughter Poppy, she was the most delightful 4 year old we have ever met! A credit to you and your wife.

Andy.

Andy

I've read the article that Paul refers to (assuming its the one about my namesake). If so, it's a solid peice of work that suggests you'll be fine. But if you really need a second opinion (from one without your research skill) then I only live in Stockport. E-mail me off-Forum if need be.

John