Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map of Carnoy (8th Battalion Norfolk)?

BelgianExile

Hi all,

Can anyone help with a map or map reference for the area to the SW of Carnoy where the 8th Battalion Norfolk were involved on 1 Jul 16? I've got Crooneart's excellent collection, but it doesn't cover this particular area. There's a few in the Regt diary which I'll overlay at some point, but I'm after the 'official' maps of the area if they're available.

Thanks as always,

Damien

Hi all,

Can anyone help with a map or map reference for the area to the SW of Carnoy where the 8th Battalion Norfolk were involved on 1 Jul 16? I've got Crooneart's excellent collection, but it doesn't cover this particular area.

Yes it does... on several maps (weren't the 8th Norfolks actually slightly NE of Carnoy anyway, rather than SW?)

Try one of the 'Maricourt' maps in the French trench map folders (there's one from June 1916 and also one with a print date of August that actually shows the 1st July lines in great detail in that area). Not sure without looking, but I was certain that this area is also covered in the British maps section (but the French maps for there are better anyway! :thumbsup: )

Dave

(PS. the full map that the extract below is taken from is definitely on the 'Somme' disc)

post-357-0-13521800-1381444427_thumb.jpg