Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this a RWF Uniform?

MFS

Hello all, firstly thankyou to those who have helped me in my search thus far.

I have attached a couple of pics of a soldier, I used to think it was my grandfather Edward Potter, S No. 21642 and that it was of him in his KRRC uniform but others think not. Can you help? I live in Tasmania so it is a bit hard to get to Kew and check for myself.

Thank you muchly.

These are the best quality I can post, so I hope they are visible enough.

post-102621-0-05618100-1381439441_thumb.

post-102621-0-13917500-1381439449_thumb.

Edward Potter 21642 KRRC went on to become 562373 in the Labour Corps, but no mention of the RWF on his Medal Index Card I'm afraid, so the picture is unlikely to be of him. He was given a medical discharge and the Silver War Badge in consequence.

There was an Edward Potter (no middle name) in the RWF, who also earned a pair of medals as no. 10812.

Clive

Thank you folks.

Your contributions confirm my suspicions, now I just have to find out who the bloke was. Possibly a friend of the family way back then. Those who might be able toidentify him have all died one would expect. I have read hints that some of the RWF served with the KRRC but if Edward Potter ever knew this man is another question. Again, thankyou for your help, it is very much appreciated from the other side ofthe planet. By the by, the pic of me is when I was a RAAF Apprentice, in 1969. That's another story.

Thank you folks.

Your contributions confirm my suspicions, now I just have to find out who the bloke was. Possibly a friend of the family way back then. Those who might be able toidentify him have all died one would expect. I have read hints that some of the RWF served with the KRRC but if Edward Potter ever knew this man is another question. Again, thankyou for your help, it is very much appreciated from the other side ofthe planet. By the by, the pic of me is when I was a RAAF Apprentice, in 1969. That's another story.

How sure are you that your grandfather was KRR (not 'KRRC' till later) and not RWF? Do you have documents confirming his unit? Perhaps your Edward Potter is the RWF man?

How sure are you that your grandfather was KRR (not 'KRRC' till later) and not RWF? Do you have documents confirming his unit? Perhaps your Edward Potter is the RWF man?

The KRRC Pals have already been poring over this here: Kings Royal Rifles

We have a large service record put forward by Michael (@MFS) for an Edward Potter, KRRC and LC, but due to family commitments I won't have time to go through it all till after the weekend. Pal Liz has made a start on the Home/Overseas dates. So far we've only seen service in the KRRC, the RB and the Labour Corps - nothing for the RWF. His KRRs service number is variously R/21642 or R/21649, both with and without the letter prefix.

Mindful that this Edward Potter might not be Martin's grandfather, we've asked him if he has Edward's medals, the inscriptions thereon would verify his Service Numbers etc.

Michael: It would certainly be very helpful to know how how you've connected this Edward Potter with the KRRC/LC service record with your grandfather Edward Potter - you'd be amazed how easy it is to make a slip-up with the early steps of the research and build a castle on sand! ... It would definitely be nice to hear this before I spend several hours decoding a service record which might prove to be a red herring - LOL!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark,

Edward Potter is/was my grandfather. The bloke in the photo isn't Edward Potter, that much I have learned since posting the pic. I was simply interested to know if the man in the pic was in the RWF. Others are chasing info on my Pop, which seems to be a bit messy because he wasn't as fit as most blokes when he was called up. He had asthma and bronchitis but we do know he was wounded in the hip, somewhere in France I think. He was from Scackleton, near Hovington, near Malton, in Yorkshire, which should have put him in A Coy, 21st bn KRRC. But as we all know there is always a SNAFU.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Micheal

(Note: it's not spelled the other way)

with respect to the KRR[C] question, the Army List of Aug 1914 has:

Title to be used on documents: King's Royal Rifle Corps. Official abbreviaion: K. R. Rif. C.

The shoulder title said KRR [the C was added as late as 1958 I believe].

Funny old thing, the army!

with respect to the KRR[C] question, the Army List of Aug 1914 has:

Title to be used on documents: King's Royal Rifle Corps. Official abbreviaion: K. R. Rif. C.

The shoulder title said KRR [the C was added as late as 1958 I believe].

Funny old thing, the army!

According to the history I have, the regiment was titled King's Royal Rifle Corps 1830 through 1920, then King's Royal Rifles 1920-1921, then King's Royal Rifle Corps again in 1921.

Westlake's "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" confirms that the KRR shoulder title was worn until 1958.

The KRRC Pals have already been poring over this here: Kings Royal Rifles

We have a large service record put forward by Michael (@MFS) for an Edward Potter, KRRC and LC, but due to family commitments I won't have time to go through it all till after the weekend.

I've now found time to write up the timeline of R/21469 Edward Potter's service record on the other post (see link above). This photo is definitely not him.

Incidentally the R/21462 service number on his MIC is definitely incorrect.