Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 - The Fall of Eagles Presentation by Dr John Bourne

Skipman

Forgive me - I haven't viewed your link.

"Fall of Eagles" was a major BBC serialised drama (ran weekly over 3 months so presumably 12/13 episodes) which first screened about 40 years ago. My recollection is that it was very good and catered to the sort of intelligent audience that the BBC has now decided doesn't exist. Well, absolutely excellent really, but as soon as you say that, the knockers emerge and tell you what a load of Krupp they know it really was, and by inference how gullible are the deluded fools who liked it.

Skippy, does Dr Bourne acknowledge the origin of the title, which I imagine may well have been a book published slightly earlier than the prog? I do recall Patrick Stewart playing a perfect Lenin, Barry Foster as Kaiser Wilhelm II and Curt Jurgens as Otto von Bismarck?

And are you really a Bush Kangaroo ?

" Skippy, does Dr Bourne acknowledge the origin of the title? " Am afraid I haven't watched it yet, so cannot answer your question.

Nowhere else in the world am I known as 'skippy' It's a stupid name that seemed like a good idea when I joined the forum. Out all the many links to online books, videos etc etc, that I have posted, I have probably listened to/read, about 10% Roll on deoderant retirement.

Mike

It's a stupid name that seemed like a good idea when I joined the forum.

Don't worry - Skippy is a nice name.

I am Blanche Dubois elsewhere. Now that's daft, but it seemed appropriate as I had been asking for help - I just remembered that lovely line in "Streetcar" - " I have always relied upon the kindness of strangers"

" Don't worry - Skippy is a nice name. "

Well I'm stuck with it now, for good or bad.

I think my 'fave' is " Heid the ba' " he wiz usin' the heid when he thocht that ane up?

I wonder if Dr Bourne would be impressed with our wafflings? Must thank all these undoubted experts for sharing their expertise with us all.

Mike