Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Dublin Fusilier headstone

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

This is the headstone of 20 year old James David Gloster in Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension -

post-108-0-46069300-1381413282_thumb.jpg

The family inscription is -

post-108-0-85185900-1381413366_thumb.jpg

His CWGC entry shows "Son of Arthur Gloster, of Clonmellane, Molahiffe, Co. Kerry; husband of Eleanor Mary Gloster, of 16, East View Terrace, Quaker Rd., Cork. Enlisted when a student at Mountjoy School, Dublin, at age of 18.", which explains the reference to "Mountjoy" on the stone, - and PSM.23. is psalm 23 - The Lord is my shepherd ...

Any suggestions as to what the rest of the inscription means ?

Tom

Kilkenny College is the largest co-ed school in Ireland. Dating from 1538, it caters for boarders, mainly Protestant, C of I, but is open to all. As Jon has already advised, St Fin Barre's Cathedral is in the city of Cork, and St Fin Barre is the local patron saint. The name is more often given as Finbar.

The reference to Kerry might be that he was born in that county, which is adjacent to Cork.

"Come on the Dubs"

Séamus

RDFA Membership Sec

This is him

1911 census

1901 census

He was born in Kerry but his father, as an RIC officer born in Kerry with a Tipp wife was not allowed to serve in either of those counties, which is why they were in Cork

Thanks so far. Any thoughts on "CATH."(*), - and "RECORDS", is that maybe meant to be saying "here is a record of the man" ? (* CATH in the RDF made me think Catholic rather than C of I - am I misreading it ?).

Tom

Cath

...as in post #2 is "Cathedral"

I assume the "records" is to birth in Kerry (see census) and I suspect marriage in St Finnbars Cathedral, Cork (you could prove or disprove that by digging at bit more on his marriage)

The census clearly shows he was Church of Ireland

"CATH" Refers to St Fin Barre's Cathedral, which as post #2 indicated is the C of I cathedral in Cork city. I would read the headstone as "records for him may be found in Kerry (birth place) St Fin Barre's ( most likely Baptism ), Kilkenny & Mountjoy ( colleges - education) & you rightly identify PSM 23 as the Psalm.

CWGC give his date of death as 18 Nov 1918, I wonder did he die from wounds received before the armistice, or was he one of those killed in the days following the armistice?

"Let Erin Remember"

Séamus

According to DeRuvigny,

James David Gloster was educated at St Luke's school Cork, Kilkenny College and Mountjoy School Dublin. He died at No.37 CCS of bronchial pneumonia contracted while on active service.

Thanks for the explanations. Interesting headstone. An unfortunate demise for a war survivor.

his father was to die in the troubles of 1922 after retiring from the RIC ...

Any detail ref his father's death ?

Tom

by chance a post has come in on the RIC page on Facebook re the death of Arthur Gloster. Shot in Barrack St, Cork by a group of young men when he was on his way home at dinner time. Coroner reported 9 gun shots wounds

Sadly this was one of many incidents in which Irishmen killed their fellow countrymen, in the belief that they were "striking a blow for Irish freedom." In the following months they were to do it on a grand scale in the tragedy of the Irish Civil War, 1922 / 23.

The bitterness engendered by it poisoned politics in Ireland for the remainder of the 20th century. Families also suffered as brother was set against brother as they chose between Collins or De Valera or their political heirs.

It still has resonances in the political spectrum, as parties of broadly similar aspirations are separated by which side they took in the Civil War.