Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry

NEFERTITI

Being a new member of the Great War Forum I am in need of some help. Can anyone tell me where the 10th Battalion, the Durham Light Infantry were situated in the month of May 1917. Ideally has anyone got a copy of the War Diary for this period.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't be specific but I received a summary from another forum member about the movements of 10th DLI as my uncle had been killed in a trench raid in January 1917 when they moved to Arras in January 1917. They attacked the Hindenburg line near Wancourt in mid April and were later moved to Zillebeke in August in support of an attack on Sanctuary Wood as part of the battle of Passchendale. I suspect that May saw the battalion still around Wancourt near Arras. There is a small cemetery in Wancourt,a small village,which has a number of DLI men interred.

Hardly a small cemetery at Wancourt with over 1000 within.

Part of 43rd Brigade, 14th Division. Brigade in reserve for the 3rd Battle of the Scarpe, took over the line after the failure of that attack. Andy (Stilletto on here) is your man for 14th division matters - I only have April material (and most of that I got from him!)

Jim

Oops,sorry Jim I confused that with my uncles grave in Wanquetin nearby. The book Durham Forces in the Field gives some updates about the 10th but my photocopies stopped on page 106 when they moved to Dainville on 23rd March if it helps.