Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/20th London in Malta 1917

paul leeson

Hi

I am trying to detail the movements of 2/20th London [180 Br of 60th Div] from Macedonia to Egypt in the summer of 1917. I believe the Division landed around 12-18/6/1917. What is puzzling me is an amendment to my Grt Uncle’s will, by RAMC staff, dated 28/8/1917 at Floriana Hospital, Malta. He was in 2/20th London.

Does anyone know if 2/20th or any part of the Division went via Malta and was still there at the end of August.

Or were the sick sent from Egypt to base hospitals in Malta ? I assume he must have been very ill if he was incapable of amending his will himself.

The amendment was revising this will to reflect his new 6 digit TF number.

Thank you in advance.

Paul

Paul

According to Capt. W.R. Elliot, The Second Twentieth, being The History of the 2/20th Bn. London Regiment (1920), the battalion was in the Wadi Ghuzzee, Gamli Sector of the Front, at Shellal in August 1917. There was no action, only training in great heat, but 'The daily sick-list mounted up, and septic sores and PUO [fever of unknown origin] took a heavy toll of all ranks'.

I'd guess he had been evacuated sick to Malta, as you suggest.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Yes i guess so, with the influx of reinforcements the local hospitals must have been swamped. it must have been tough for the boys from South East London in all that heat.

Paul

I have read of military sick being moved to Malta from the eastern Med during WW1,particularly in relation to Salonika.

Thank you Sotonmate.

Yes I suppose it is also possible he had been sent to Malta before the Division moved to Egypt. it is perhaps more likely Malta was acting as a base for the Salonika/Macedonia front than for the Egyptian front. I also know that the Division went via Malta to Salonika/Macedonia on its way out, in November 1916.

Thanks again.

Paul