Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Tunic

Andy Wade

Quick question, This picture is of Ernest Harding of the RFC. His family think he was ground crew (he was a joiner by trade) but he is wearing a tunic with a flap that covers the whole chest. My question is simple, is this standard dress for ground crew, or is it possible he flew at any time in his career?

post-9980-0-22806300-1381313897_thumb.jp

Quick question, This picture is of Ernest Harding of the RFC. His family think he was ground crew (he was a joiner by trade) but he is wearing a tunic with a flap that covers the whole chest. My question is simple, is this standard dress for ground crew, or is it possible he flew at any time in his career?

Andy,

Yes, that was the standard dress for all RFC., including ground crew, at that time. He is wearing the drab serge Pattern 1912 ' Maternity ' jacket, officially labeled ' Jackets, SD, RFC '.

The earlier version of this jacket had no shoulder straps.

Regards,

LF

Andy,

Here are two photographs of the RFC ' Maternity ' jacket being worn by RFC Airman, both the version as shown in your photograph with the shoulder straps, and also the earlier version without the shoulder straps.

Regards,

LF

C/o. S. Chambers ' Uniforms and Equipment of the British Army in WW1 '

post-63666-0-22762000-1381325845_thumb.j

post-63666-0-05344800-1381325860_thumb.j

Hello Andy and LF,

To quote from British Air Forces 1914-18 (1) by Andrew and Peter Cormack, "The definitive pattern was arrived at in June 1914, when ORs' versions acquired shoulder straps,..."

Looking at his right sleeve there is a possibility that he wears the two bladed propeller badge denoting 1st Class Air Mechanic. I'd suggest increasing the resolution in that part of the photo as it's partly covered by what looks like hair from another sitter. If it is in fact the badge in question then it dates the photo as being post October 1916 when it was introduced.

Best Wishes

And a well photographed original:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/rfc/rfc17.htm

Well, what fantastic replies! Not only have you confirmed that this man would have worn a tunic as ground crew, but spotted his trade badge as well! I can see it is there just behind his wife's hair but when I get the chance I'll see his Granddaughter who has the original and get the magnifying glass out and confirm that beyond doubt.

My sincere thanks to you all for this. She will be very pleased to hear this as every time I contact her I give her something new. It's what I like best about looking at these old pictures, they're just packed with information!
This picture is from a family group of Ernest Harding, his wife Sarah and their sons Frank (born June 1911 and aged about 5 or 6 here) and Charles Henry (born March 1914 and aged about 2 or 3 here). Going on the apparent ages of the boys, I think this fairly accurately dates the picture to around the end of 1916 or early 1917 which would concur with your date of post-October 1916 for the First Class Air Mechanics badge.

I never thought to look for a trade badge, which is ironic as I was an airframe fitter in the RAF in another life... :whistle:

post-9980-0-00283400-1381359995_thumb.jp

Hello again,

Just a little bit more, the badge of 1st Class Air Mechanic denoted a "Rank" covering a multitude of skills or trades. See http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1916/1916%20-%200834.html for the announcement of the badge in September 1916, and

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1912/1912%20-%200510.html for an insight into the trades associated with the rank.

You can see how the rank of 1st Class Air Mechanic lined up with those of the RNAS and later that of the RAF at http://www.britairforce.com/raf_ranks_1.htm

Best Wishes

• 9 years later...
On 09/10/2013 at 13:03, Lancashire Fusilier said:

Andy,

Yes, that was the standard dress for all RFC., including ground crew, at that time. He is wearing the drab serge Pattern 1912 ' Maternity ' jacket, officially labeled ' Jackets, SD, RFC '.

The earlier version of this jacket had no shoulder straps.

Regards,

LF

I thought the 1912 was the 'earlier version', with shoulder straps and pocket flaps introduced on the 1914 version?