Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good place to find medals

Ben3095

Hi

What would be everybody's best source for finding medals?

Ben

It used to be Junk and Antique shops, as well as regular Antique/Militaria fairs, which I searched on a weekly basis, but all the local Junk/Antique Shops have vanished due to the high rents and rates. Now a days, I follow the odd auction or simply let items come to me via dealer friends. Unfortunately, mortgages and bills have to come first........

Sepoy

As above the old hunting grounds have gone , the odd jewler still takes in the odd group ,where i lived in the UK one still did and turned up a couple of intresting groups ,antique fairs can be hit and miss seen ASC pairs for over £100! local auctions can still turn up the odd gem and perhaps if there is a local auction house get to know who ever runs it and have a chat with him/her .

And of course get a couple of dealers lists and attend a few medal fairs ,gone are the days of only the Britania Medal fair and the like ,now there seems to be a fair on every weekend !

• 3 weeks later...

Google medal deallers and you will come up with a fairly comprehensive list of UK Deallers..... with most you pay top price but then again you are pretty much safe with the quality etc.

Despite the way many people seem to hold adverse opinions of it these days, I am a fan of ebay for collectibles. I have found many items in my collections of regimental badges and medals through ebay, many of which would never have found their way to my collection by other means. Ebay offers an opportunity to monitor a global marketplace and, approached with common sense and caution, holds few hazards for the careful bidder. As with the auction houses, one gets used to dealing with the same sellers on ebay and can trust their offerings. Use of carefully developed searches, and regularly checking them (most auction only run for seven days) can lead to some surprises, especially when a collector can match information in compiled research to online medal sales and confirm that more of a story accompanies the item than the seller knows about.

I totally agree, I have obtained some of my most prized Buy's on e-bay .... there are some excellant people on their .... the feedback confirms this. :thumbsup:

i've bought and sold quite a few MMs and various other medals over the years and mostly gone through ebay. prices are within the expected brackets for each medal or group. all depends on what you are looking for as well. i've spent along time collecting to 2nd Manchesters and some units appear less frequently than others.

good luck!!

I have also brought a number of good medals off E-Bay, wide variation of prices but never had a problem.

Best buy has to be a South Staffs pair, plaque, scroll and King's letter for £215, including all the boxes, tubes and envelopes. The seller delivered it to my door and just before he left said "These go with the medals, you can have them" ..... approx. 50 items, Letters, cemetery register, Imperial War grave photo's, personal photo's and every single Army/War office letter pertaining to the man, you could say I was made up.

Dave

my best was a single BWM to a 7th Beds man. £13. turns out he was killed the same battle that Pte Cristopher Cox won the VC for the 7th Beds. and he appeared in the book 'the shiney seventh' about the 7th beds. i was happy!, but i seem to be going off thread now.... sorry!

There are some who have a bit of a downer on e-bay for what ever reason but I feel it's a case of you setting your own limit on what you think its worth and more importantly what you are prepared to pay for it!. Hopefully all the previous comments will encourage people to take the plunge; start small and take up the collecting and............. researching of course!.

Good side of ebay - lots to choose from, easy to see previous selling prices, always something else along in a minute if all you want is an example of a standard item. Great if you want just any old VM.

Bad side of ebay... supply and demand in (almost) perfect harmony, so hard to get a bargain. Especially if you want THAT EXACT VM... and so does someone else.

(I've bought all mine from ebay.)

Regards

Ian

auction houses , dealers, ebay

as with auction they can be expensive, about right or a bargain - depends on the day and part of the fun

I have had some great stuff from ebay, also let some good stuff go as still a little risk adverse to send hundreds to some one I don't know or haven't traded with before

I agree that ebay is a very good source for medals. I also buy Sterbebild ( German death cards) from a very reliable seller. You get to know regular sellers who can also give you a bit more information on what you are bidding on. I regularly visit antique fairs ( for art deco stuff!) and I often find militaria dealers selling first world war medals,at what seem to be inflated prices ( in my humble opinion)

Antique centres can be a source of bargains as dealers probably don't know what they are selling. I once bought a 1914-15 star to a casualty from the Royal Irish Rifles for only £14.

Happy hunting!

I like to buy off local dealers for my collection (as its Border Regiment and I live in Cumbria) but you have to pay dealer prices but at the end of the day i'm happy I got my Lonsdale pair and plaque. Also a Pair of Lonsdale medals to an "Original". Its all great fun!

Though antique centres can turn up the odd bargain from a unsuspecting antique dealer in china ,9 times out of 10 they want £100 for a pair to the ASC ? and when asked why they say "Well some one will buy it !"