Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Learning the (military) lessons of WWI

aiwac

Hi,

What are good sources on the British, French and American Army attempts to learn tactical and strategic lessons from WWI in the interwar period? I'm also curious if the Germans focused exclusively on what we call "blitzkrieg" or also spent some time on trench or fortification warfare.

Thanks,

aiwac

There is a big literature on developments in the British army interwar; much of it related to the use of armour.

A wider and relatively new survey is David French, Raising Churchill's Army: The British Army and the War Against Germany 1919-1945 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000). French specifically examines the perceived lessons of the First World War and their implementation in the British Army.

Greg

Hi

In the immediate Post-War period the final editions of the wartime S.S. series were published (1920), which would have formed a 'core' for future developments. Also it can be seen that Staff College Courses included lectures on the lessons learnt on the Western Front and in other Theatres, usually by the officers concerned in the actions.

Mike

A wider and relatively new survey is David French, Raising Churchill's Army: The British Army and the War Against Germany 1919-1945 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000). French specifically examines the perceived lessons of the First World War and their implementation in the British Army.

Greg

I've not read this (not my area of interest, to be honest), but the same author's Military identities (about recruitment and the British regimental system) is superb, if that's any recommendation.

IWM and Naval and Military Press have republished the Report of the War Office Committee on the Lessons of the Great War which admittedly is only 41 pages (with 110 pages of appendices) though it does have sections on Strategy and Tactics, Equipment and Organisation and Training.

Steven ,

French is very good indeed- he has just written an excellent book on Counter-Insurgency; David French The British Way in Counter-Insurgency 1945-67 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011).

Greg

Greg - yes; I saw a review in (IIRC) the JSAHR and it certainly received a five-star rating.

I'd also recommend the three volume set 'Military Effectiveness' edited by Alan R MIllett and Williamson Murray (the 2010 revised edition).

Volume 1 covers WW1; Volume 2 is 'The Interwar Period' and Volume 3 is WW2.

Probably worth tracking through libraries, though as the online prices fluctuate.

I find much to consider in the idea that the two wars were part of one long conflict with a bit of a breather.