Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment

Hookleg

Can anyone tell me what happened to the 10th Battalion Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment on and around 23rd March 1918. Researching a soldier from this Battalion who's name is on the Arras Memorial. Even his date of death is approximate as his body was not recovered. Realise this was near the start of the German Spring Offensive. I've been told that the Battalion was all but annihilated but can't find evidence for this on the internet. All relevant details of engagements would be much appreciated.

The posted link refers to the 10th Battalion Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Thanks everyone. I've been slow in responding due to a relative's death. Yes the diary entry does seem to tie up with what I've heard about the virtual entrapment of the unit and the fact that so few seem to have made it back to the safety of their own lines . As they fell back, many of the isolated "redoubts" were left to be surrounded and overwhelmed by the following German infantry. Don't think the Welsh Fusiliers came out of it well either!!

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread,

but I am trying to find out anything I can of the 10th QO Royal West Kent Regiment on the the dates 31st July 1917 and 22nd February 1918.

I have a mapped out timeline of the battalion's actions, but I was wondering if anyone had access to the war diary of the battalion on those specific dates.

I am researching my Great-Grandfather; G-11176 Pte. George Bance.

Morning

Unfortunately the WD is not available yet

From 'Passchendaele - day by day' (McCarthy)

31 July 1917

123 Brigade attacked north of Yser-Comines canal with 2 companies 23rd Middlesex, 11 Queens, 10RWKent and 20DLI in support. Despite meeting strong opposition they managed to take 1st objective. made slow progress owing to state of ground. By 8am parties of RWKent had reached 2nd objective.

WD entry records

"2am. Battalion reported in position on tapes for attack.

3.50am. Barrage opened and attack commenced. The battalion gained two objectives, consolidated and held the same. Casualties will be included in rest of months War Diary on completion of operations."

I dont have February 1918, the WD jumps from October 1917 to March1918

Regards,

Graeme

Morning,

I know the 122nd Bde carried out raids across the Piave in boats on the 22nd Feb 1918 while 41st Div were in Italy, maybe 123rd Bde conducted similar?

Good luck with your research

Jim

Thanks for your help. I guess I was just hoping to shed some light on the events surrounding his injuries. I'm on my phone now, but I'll post from the PC later. It makes interesting reading. Particularly feb 1918 when he sustained multiple gunshot wounds a broken leg, injured forearm and the loss of an eye. I believe the battalion were moving back to France from Italy at the time?

10th RWK conducted patrols over the Piave on the 19th and 20th Feb it seems. They were back in France first week of March.

From C T Atkinson's history of the RWK (Chapter 22, p.343)

"A patrol across the Piave on February 19th led to a brush with the enemy in which Captain Hindle distinguished himself , extricating his party from a nasty position by his coolness and determination, and bringing back across the river 2Lt Nisbitt who had been badly wounded. Ptes. Waite and Stone helped greatly in this and received the M.M. A day later Lts Weslan and Anderson led another patrol across, but had to return on encountering the enemy in force, affecting their withdrawal without casualties"

Atkinson then goes on to say they deployed back to France

Hopefully a forum member may have a copy of the WD for the period 10th RWK were in Italy?

Cheers

Jim

Thanks for everything so far, it seems we're getting closer........... here's everthing I know so far summerised...

G11176GBanceRWKentR.jpg

Private George BANCE, G-11176, Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment.

Enlisted 20th November 1915, Maidstone, Kent, age 25, height 5ft 2 inches, resided 14/15 Rock Road, Borough Green, Kent. Formerly labourer.

Husband of Catherine Margaret Bance, (nee Webb), 14 Rock Road, Boro Green, Kent. Married 13th November 1915, Platt, Kent.

Enlisted into the 10th (Service) Battalion (Kent County) Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment

Under command of 123rd Brigade, 41st Division

Home, 20th November 1915 to 2nd May 1916;

British Expeditionary Force, 3rd May 1916 to 7th August 1917;

Participated in the Battle of Fler-Courcellete (15-22 september 1916).

The 41st Division captured the village of Flers. (41st Division sustained 3000 casualties of the battle’s 29,376 total)

Participated in the Battle of Le Transloy Ridges (Somme)(1 October-5 November 1916).

Participated in the Battle of Messines (7-14 June 1917)

Under X Corps – composed of 41st, 47th, 23rd and 24th Brigades.

Participated in the Battle of Passchendaele / Third Battle of Ypres (31st July-10th November 1917)

31st July 1917 (First day of the Battle of Passchendale), wounded during the Battle of Pilckem Ridge; multiple gun shot wounds;

“(Second Army) X Corps attacked with the 41st Division, on either side of the Comines canal, captured Hollebeke village and dug in 500–1,000 yards (460–910 m) east of Battle Wood. Much of the X Corps artillery was used to help the Fifth Army by counter-battery fire on the German artillery concentration behind Zandvoorde.[53] The 41st Division attack was hampered by frequent German artillery bombardments in the days before the attack and the officers laying out markings for the assembly tapes during the night of 30 July, exchanged fire with a German patrol. High explosive and gas shelling never stopped and one battalion lost 100 casualties in the last few days before the attack. At zero hour the attack began and the division advanced down the hill to the first German outposts. At one part of the battlefield German pillboxes had been built in lines from the front-line to the rear, from which machine-gunners kept up a steady fire. The strongpoints on the left were quickly suppressed but those on the right held out for longer and caused many casualties, before German infantry sallied from shelters, between the front and support lines on the right, before being repulsed by British small arms fire and that of a Vickers machine-gun fired by the Colonel in command of the battalion. Mopping-up the remaining pillboxes failed due to the number of casualties and a shortage of ammunition. It began to and at 4:00 a.m. many Germans were seen massing for a counter-attack. Reinforcements were called for and rapid fire opened on the German infantry but the attack succeeded in reaching the pillboxes still holding out on the right. The British artillery began firing as reinforcements arrived, the Germans were forced back and the last pillboxes captured. The front line had been advanced about 600–650 yards (550–590 m) on a front of 2,500 yards (2,300 m), from south of Hollebeke north to the area east of Klein Zillebeke”

Home, 8th August 1917 to 19th November 1917;

5th October to 15th October 1917, given leave from hospital.

BEF, 20th November 1917 to 5th June 1918;

Entire 41st Division moved by train to Mantua, Italy. They took up positions on the front line at the river Piave North-West of Treviso.

In February they left Italy by train, departing from Campo San Piero, to concentrate near Doullens and Mondicourt

22nd February 1918, wounded, gun shot wounds, compound fracture left femur, wounded face & forearm; Unknown Location / Action

His Battalion was next in action during the German Spring Offensive (Operation Michael), and saw action in the following battles;

The Battle of St. Quentin (21-23 March 1918)

The Battle of Bapaume (24-25 March 1918)

The Battle of Arras (28 March 1918)

They then moved to Flanders for the Battle of the Lys (7-29 April). They were in action during the Final Advance in Flanders, at Courtrai and Ooteghem. At the Armistice the advanced units were at Nederbrakel, Tenbosch and the River Dender.

Home, 6th June 1918 to 23rd December 1918.

23rd December 1918, discharged as "no longer physically fit for War Service" due to wounds. Issued Silver War (Wound) Badge number B70840.

Pension of 27/6 a week to be reviewed in 26 weeks, for 100% disability, gun shot wound to face, loss of eye, wounded thigh and forearm.

SniperCWF

I have a picture of a recruitment poster for the 10th Queen's Own if you would like to add it to your research. Send me a Personal Message with your email if you're interested.

Stuart