Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victory comes home

ralphjd

Went a bit mad this week-end and paid over the odds for a single medal (Victory) but at least its come home to Milnrow where the lad was born and worked, probably never see his war medal but who knows, content to have at least won this bid.

Ive paid similar silly money to a Coldstreamer from where I live - its not like I see them everyday

Now got three medals for lads in our village, Star and Victory (no war medal) casualty, and this latest one. I know of a trio in the hands of a relative, as they should be, and a MM trio also in the hands of a relative. Love to "find" more. Also have one death plaque relative to Milnrow and know the whereabouts of five others, all bar one in a relatives hands, plus a framed memorial scroll bought of ebay for £25, not doing bad out of 223 casualties :(

Now got three medals for lads in our village, Star and Victory (no war medal) casualty, and this latest one. I know of a trio in the hands of a relative, as they should be, and a MM trio also in the hands of a relative. Love to "find" more. Also have one death plaque relative to Milnrow and know the whereabouts of five others, all bar one in a relatives hands, plus a framed memorial scroll bought of ebay for £25, not doing bad out of 223 casualties :(

rjaydee,

I am sure the enjoyment you have in putting together medals awarded to men from your village, goes a long way towards softening the cost involved.

Regards,

LF

It certainly does LF, no doubt about it. I know a chap who put a death plaque on ebay for £80 for a local man Percy Dronsfield, when I contacted him to obtain a photo of it before it got sold, he removed it from the auction and decided to keep it himself as Percy was from Milnrow, so that one as far as I know is still in the village. Ralph.

I live in a small village in Cumbria, and what I would pay for a single medal would be very much over the odds (Never mind a trio!!!!!) . But I wouldn't care!

B

Who cares that you pay over the odds? It doesnt matter! I am always looking for my great Grandfathers medals, Pte Frederick William Edgar Seaforth Highlanders!

On a personal basis I would pay a vast sum for my grand uncles medals if they ever appeared, he is one of only two with the surname of UMBERS to be killed in the Great War. Ralph.

Went a bit mad this week-end and paid over the odds for a single medal (Victory) but at least its come home to Milnrow where the lad was born and worked, probably never see his war medal but who knows, content to have at least won this bid.

I also collect to our local memorials and frequently find I have to pay "over the odds". The good news is that they turn up so rarely that the outlay hardly works out at anything at all. Not that they will be sold in my lifetime, but they do go up in value over time anyway. I remember the days when you could pick Waterloo medals up for £25.00 and later baulking at having to pay £34.00 for a genuine Air Crew Europe Star that I needed to fill a gap. How I now wish that I had bought a bucket full !!

Don't give up hope on that war medal either. I managed to reunite a casualty duo this week (his full entitlement) when the lads VM turned up. Not a local guy this one but it still gives me a nice warm glow every time I think about it - and that feeling is worth a lot more than the money I paid for it.

Cheers,

Mike

Over the years I have managed to collect 3 pairs, plaques and scrolls plus about 6 other plaques/singles to casualties from my now home town and consider myself fortunate to have been able to do so. I have however missed out on two trio's but at least I know they are still 'out there'.

I struck lucky once when I picked up a 'none' casualty VM from e-**y for approx £8, it came from the far end of the country (Devon) and in fact was a medal to a unique name who was discharged through gassing and who lost three other brothers during the war.

I feel quite proud that my collection is 'home'

Dave

All I can say is keep up the good work and if any member ever comes across any medals etc information on men from Milnrow/Newhey/Rochdale area. I would be pleased to hear about them. Ralph.

Hi Ralph,

I have a single British War medal for a 235326 Herbert Dewhurst - 2/5 Lancashire Fusiliers - Enlisted Rochdale - KIA 1st day Passchendaele.

I am afraid its an integral part of my collection - but if you were looking for it, at least you know where it is now.

hi ralph, did you say that milnrow is a village who suffer 223 KIA in the great war?

Milnrow and its surrounds, stretching from Ogden to Firgove and Newhey, a lot of farmland at the time so we did lose a lot considering. Bear in mind the total is made up of men who fall under my criteria of being born or residing in the catchment area that comprised the Milnrow Urban District at the time of the war. A few obviously moved prior to the outbreak , but if they were born here I have included them.Ralph.