Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th ccs

BIFFO

I have a chap

Ernest Stanton 5th batt northamptonshire reg

wounded in action in the shoulder and legs I think 16th july 1917,taken to 19th ccs he d.o.w on 23 july,where was

this ccs would he have been taken to a hospital near Duisans as he is buried in Duisans British Cemetery plot VA21,what action took place on the 16th-21st july 1917

will any gwf be in the area could they take a photo of the headstone please.

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

Take a look at the CCS page of the LLT:

http://www.1914-1918.net/ccs.htm

The War Diary will also say where they were on the days of July 1917 that you seek.Ref WO95/414 but not digital yet.

No Admission and Discharge Registers survive for this CCS.

The CWGC cemetery notes for DUISANS BC state that CCS 19 were nearby and buried their dead from Apr 1917 to Mar 1918,before they moved on elsewhere.This info does not tally exactly with the LLT link I have posted here but makes sense as your man is buried there,unless he was with another CCS,there were two others.

The War Diary will also say where they were on the days of July 1917 that you seek.Ref WO95/414 but not digital yet.

The CWGC cemetery notes for DUISANS BC state that CCS 19 were nearby and buried their dead from Apr 1917 to Mar 1918,before they moved on elsewhere.

You have answered a question for me also. I have my great uncle's service papers which managed to survive the fire, and know that he died on 29th Aug. 1918 at CCS #19 while they were at Frevent. I had been trying to find out if any records survived for them, because i wondered how long he had been with them before he died. He was with the 1st Gordons and is buried at Ligny sur Canche and the CCS moved on right afterwards. There is a story which I grew up with in the family, which, (at the risk of sounding like a nut case) involves second sight that i would love to be able to verify. Looks like I am permanently out of luck!

Thanks,

Hazel

Hazel

Private Robert Finlayson S/42119,died on 29 Aug 1918,from Cromarty.There were two other CCS there as well,one of them the 3rd Canadian,the other 43 CCS.

Do you want to post the story ? Miracles seem frequent here ! You never know who knows what !

Hazel

Private Robert Finlayson S/42119,died on 29 Aug 1918,from Cromarty.There were two other CCS there as well,one of them the 3rd Canadian,the other 43 CCS.

Do you want to post the story ? Miracles seem frequent here ! You never know who knows what !

It isn't really much of a story and i have probably posted it on the spooky thread at some point. Basically, my granny (who was there at the time) swears that my great granny woke in the middle of the night on or about the 27th (she says two or three days before) weeping and wailing and woke the household, saying that her son had been shot in the arm and was dying. The telegram, a copy of which is with his service papers, arrived about a week later according to granny, saying he had died on the 29th. It said he died of gunshot wounds to the right arm and right leg. Several old aunts and uncles who were in Cromarty at the time, all said that the whole village knew before the telegram arrived.

Information about this would be serendipity indeed but HIGHLY unlikely. I was very close to my granny and after I went away to school, still spent all my holidays with her. Robert was her youngest and favourite brother.

hazel

Not so strange! A couple of days ago, four of our family in different places, woke at exactly the same time in middle of the night. It wasn't till 6 hours later that we found out it was the same time to the minute that a close relative had died.

Not so strange! A couple of days ago, four of our family in different places, woke at exactly the same time in middle of the night. It wasn't till 6 hours later that we found out it was the same time to the minute that a close relative had died.

Interesting!

H

The CWGC cemetery notes for DUISANS BC state that CCS 19 were nearby and buried their dead from Apr 1917 to Mar 1918,before they moved on elsewhere.This info does not tally exactly with the LLT link I have posted here but makes sense as your man is buried there,unless he was with another CCS,there were two others.

A doctor who served with 19 CCS wrote about his time with the unit. He states that at the end of 1916 the unit had orders to move and built a casualty clearing station in a field at Agnez-les-Duisans in preparation for the spring offensive. He explains how four of the officers got together for conferences to plan the lay-out, then the men started erecting huts and built the hospital ready for the offensive at Arras on 9th April.

I could be wrong, but there appears to be a typo on the date on the LLT - which should read Jan 17 - Mar 18 instead of Jan 17 - Mar 17. That would tie in with what the doctor wrote. They appear to have been there from January 1917 but didn’t open until the April.

Barbara

thanks for all help,defo ccs 19 ,some of his burnt records survived one being a telegram to his mother stating wounded in shoulder and legs dow while in ccs 19

Biff :thumbsup::poppy:

The nursing staff left No.19 CCS on 27th March 1918 (Agnez-les-Duisans) when it closed and transferred to Frevent, and the rest of the staff left on the 29th and went to staff No.4 CCS which had just opened up at Pont Remy.

Sue

Hazel

Your man was likely wounded at the Battle of Albert from 21-23 August 1918 or shortly after.1Gordon Highlanders were part of 76 Brigade of 3 Division there.

Hazel

Your man was likely wounded at the Battle of Albert from 21-23 August 1918 or shortly after.1Gordon Highlanders were part of 76 Brigade of 3 Division there.

That is what I thought. According to the Diary, they were around Ecouste just before he died. It also mentions that a company patrolled too far forward one night and was almost wiped out by machine gun fire. The cemetery in which he is buried is very small and only contains one other Gordon, a sergeant, who died the previous day. Maybe part of that coy. Never could find which Coy. Robert belonged to.

Thanks so much,

Hazel

I think the LLT dates are derived from the IWM facsimile publication of the location of CCS during the war. This contains a number of errors that forum pals are regularly flagging up.

I think I know that publication as I had a copy and noticed it had errors. I've just tried to find it to see if the error was theirs but I don't appear to have it anymore. Probably threw it away in disgust so I didn't refer to it again - I am easily confused. I wonder if Chris knows if he did use it.

Barbara