Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

53867 A/Cpl Charles Morris MGC Royal Navy Division

chasfoxwell

Hi

Im trying to find the details of where and what battle/skirmish Charles died in.

Date of death was 30/09/1918 KIA serving with 63rd Btn MGC Royal Navy Division around Cambrai area.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Chas

• Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The 63rd Bn RND was, I believe, engaged with Canadian Troops at the Battle of the Canal du Nord from 27 September to 11 October 1918. There are maps and and account of the fighting in the Canadian Archive http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/firstworldwar/025005-1600-e.html

You may attract more interest and pointers to the war diary for example, from more knowledgeable RND folk on the forum if you include this in your title (I looked as I have an interest in the MGC!). You can add this to the title by going back to your original post.

Ken

63rd MGB were in action in support of the RND infantry battalions who fought their way across the Canal de l'Escaut and on towards Cambrai on 29 and 30 September. The divisional history records "They were well supported by two companies of the Machine Gun Battalion, who got forward in time to harass the enemy in his retreart on Cambrai and Niergnies." A and C companies crossed the canal on the morning of 30 September and were withdrawn to the west side of the canal in reserve about twelve hours later.