Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls - a general Kew query

John_Hartley

I know I should know this. But.....

On my next trip to Kew, I need to get digi-photos of the complete medal rolls for a particular battalion. There doesnt seem to be an easy way of searching the NA catalogue to find which file(s) I need to order up. Do I need to identify a sample of the battalion's members on the index cards and presume that is bound to be the relevent file? Or have I missed a trick?

TIA

John

John

I was at Kew about a fortnight ago doing much the same, although I was searching for the family surname from the rolls.

I had done my homework before hand by retrieving the medal roll details from the medal index cards.

Because I had let my readers ticker expire I had to order them when I arrive at Kew, even then they were very quick to arrive.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

I'm not familiar with that roll John, but my impression, no more than that, is that some regimental rolls are not completely sorted by battalion. If the MIC's are consistent for a unit then it is a fair bet, but even then there may well have been later names identified who appear elsewhere within the regiment's binders. I have only worked on a relatively modest number, mostly seeking individuals, but certainly when I look back some were mixed.

Keith

John

You might have to pluralise from visit to visits ! 66 WO329 ledgers for Cheshire Regiment. As the 1/6 first landed in Dec1914 you should at least get the first tranche in a group in the 1914-1915 Star pages (WO329/2948 for Officers and WO329/2680 to 2686 for ORs).

Otherwise I suspect that he others may be gleanable in the tiresome method of seeking all the /6 Battalion entries by turning all the pages of the ledgers which cover the issue of BW and VMs to the Cheshires (WO329/998 to 1038)

I suspect that he others may be gleanable in the tiresome method of seeking all the /6 Battalion entries by turning all the pages of the ledgers which cover the issue of BW and VMs to the Cheshires (WO329/998 to 1038)

I feared that might be the case.

I suppose I also need to individually search the online MIC listings for Cheshires in the relevent six digit service number range for men who later served witb other units and who will be in those unit's rolls, rather than the Cheshire ones..

I did the same for the Manchester Regt, It took a long time but well worth it.

Having a copy of the medal rolls adds to anyones resesarch to the Bn/Regt they are researching.

Don't forget you will only get the names of those in the Battalion at the time the VM & WM were issued. Those that transferred to different units will have those medals issued under that unit rolls.

I may be worrying unduly about the number of BW & VM files I may need to search through.

I've just sampled a couple from each letter of the alphabet and they are all in one of four consecutive volumes. Looks to me like the Cheshires rolls are maybe grouped by battalion.