Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this cap badge?

erica236

I am trying to identify the soldier in this picture and identifying the uniform would help. It is probably one of two brothers, both from Leeds. One was in the Machine Gun Corps - West Yorkshire Reg, and the other in the Northumberland Fusiliers - before that the ACC. WW1 can anyone help please.

post-102529-0-56231500-1381080157_thumb.

Not West Yorkshire. No "rocking horse" to be seen in the badge.

Not a fusiler regiment. Does not look like a flaming grenade in anyway.

Could possibly be a Guards machine gun regiment?

ACC? Army catering core is WW 2.

I am not convinced. I think the centre is inconsistent. The centre in the photo is mostly solid and the points are very slightly different, ditto the scroll and crown and indeed the style of crown. My initial instinct was Canadian. MG

Thank you for all your help. I didn't know what ACC stood for but Army Cycling Corps makes sense. The badge looks right ! I now feel fairly confident that I know which brother it is!

In my view this is clearly a Army Cyclist Corps cap badge. They came in two versions - one with 16 spokes and another with 12 spokes.

The New Zealand Cyclist Corps cap badge followed the same design.

I think that the fact that the badge has been slightly shaped and the lighting makes it look slightly odd.

Sepoy

Erica236 - do you actually have the name of the man portayed?

I am fairly sure that the man in the photo is my Grandad's brother Frederick Crann from Leeds. He was first in the ACC, number 12087, then the Northumberland Fusiliers 1/6th Battalion (Territorial) , number 45264. He died in France in1918.

12087 Pte Frederick Crann, Army Cyclist Corps - was transferred to the 18th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers(1st Tyneside Pioneers) serving with 34th Division around mid-1917 and renumbered 45264. Not known how long he was with the 18th Bn, but he was then transferred to 'D' Company, 17th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers(North Eastern Railways Pioneers), 32nd Division - date unknown.

Posted again to XIII Platoon, 'D' Company, 1/6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, 149th Brigade, 50th Division(again date unknown) with whom he was 'killed' on the 2nd April 1918. At the time he was actually posted as 'Missing in Action' on 2nd April 1918 and his body never recovered hence his name appearing on Pozieres Memorial.