Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fiji Islanders

Broznitsky

Guest stevebec

Christine,

I have seven men shown as coming from Fiji in the Australian Light Horse in Egypt and Palestine.

Two are sets of brothers and I have one shown as KIA 4th August 1916. He was Edgar Wright from the 6th ALHR a Plantation owner from Suva.

All have english names so I think they may all be non natives?

Would you like their names?

S.B

Christine,

I have seven men shown as coming from Fiji in the Australian Light Horse in Egypt and Palestine.

Two are sets of brothers and I have one shown as KIA 4th August 1916. He was Edgar Wright from the 6th ALHR a Plantation owner from Suva.

All have english names so I think they may all be non natives?

Would you like their names?

S.B

Yes please. I may already have them, but that would be a check on my list

liavaa@xtra.co.nz

The Fiji Platoon, KRRC

PS Have just noticed the sheep! in bottom row

Any explanation?

post-2-1056097778.jpg

and the Fiji Labour Corps, in Honolulu en route to Europe 1917

post-2-1056097647.jpg

Guest stevebec

Chris,

The names are these;

Claude Lionel Fenner 528 enlisted Sydney 17-11-14 embark C Sqn/6 ALHR RTA 15-11-18 as Sgt awarded MID NOK shown as Suva Fiji.

Norman Edgar Fenner 663 enlist Sydney 10-4-15 embark MG Sect/12 ALHR RTA 23-8-17 pre war Medical student NOK shown Rewa Fiji.

Norman Cecil Gurner 266 enlist Sydney 25-9-14 embark B Sqn/6 ALHR RTA 31-10-15 WIA Gallipoli. NOK shown Lautoka Fiji.

Leslie William Hillhouse 1093 enlist Sydney 27-6-15 embark 5R/12 ALHR transfered to 2 Sqn AFC in France RTA 6-5-19 NOK shown Lautoka Fiji

Percival Wilson 4136 enlist Sydney 8-4-15 embark 7R/1 LHFA RTA 15-1-19 NOK Van Levu Fiji

Edgar Alma Mark Wright 1049 enlist Sydney 9-3-15 embark 6R/6 ALHR KIA 6-8-16 at Romani Eygpt. NOK from Suva Fiji

George Augustus Wright 671 enlist Sydney 23-11-14 embark 2 ALH Bde HQ RTA N/R NOK from Suva Fiji

Hope this helps

If you need anymore let us know

S.N

Thanks Steve,

there was 1 new one

Norman Cecil Gurner

That makes 255 men from Fiji in the AIF !

Christine

3 of them were killed during 2nd Ypres namely the Battle of Frezenberg from 8 to 13th May 1915. As already stated on other occasions the Battle of Frezenberg has been an extremely violent and bloody battle with extremely high casualties on British side.

Jacky

Jacky,

would you have a postcard or photograph of the Frezenberg area?

Christine

• 2 months later...

new photo, courtesy of malcolm

The War Illustrated 3 April 1915

taken in Fiji

"Native troops of Fiji, drilled by British officer- formerly given to cannibalism, they are now thoroughly reformed, many being Wesleyan Methodists"

post-2-1062703627.jpg

Christine, thought I would post the photo that started this thread many months ago, and introduced you to us!!

Peter

post-2-1062777670.jpg

Hi Broz:

The more I look at your picture the more convinced I am it was taken in front of the park's "Hollow Tree." The remains of the tree still exist. What do you think?

Garth

I haven't seen the tree lately, but I must admit that when I first discovered the photo I thought it was the tree you mention. Sounds like its time for a recee!

Peter

Christine

I've so far only found one connection with Fiji among the Fremantle soldiers that I'm researching. This soldier's brother was not from Fremantle but has the same NoK. Though you may already have this info

7457 - Pte Richard Henry Bailey - 3rd Battalion - Age 43 - Customs Officer - Married of Fremantle - Next of Kin - (Mother) AM Bailey c/o Mrs LA Kirwan, Murray St Suva Fiji

2nd Lieutenant Herbert Floyd Bailey - 3rd Battalion - Age 28 - Planter - Single (No residence listed) - Next of Kin (As above)

Both these men were in the 25th Reinforcements to the 3rd Bn which left Sydney on the 31/10/17 on the HMAT A14 Euripides.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andrew

Here's what I have on these two & their brother in law

1)Corporal Richard Henry Bailey 3rd Batt.

born Leuuka, Fiji

enlisted Perth, WA 10 May 1917

nok Annie Maria Bailey –mother

SERN 7457 (x) (x= file at NAA)

returned to Australia 12 July 1919

2) “Bert” Bailey

born Fiji

commissioned about December 1916

qv Herbert Lloyd Bailey NZEF

Herbert Lloyd Bailey

Surname BAILEY

Given Name Herbert Lloyd

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 1/819

Rank Private

Body or Draft Samoan Adv

Unit or Regiment Auckland Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address RNZA Depot Wellington

Next of Kin Title Mrs A M

Next of Kin Surname BAILEY

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address The Bungalow Suva Fiji

3)Sergeant Martin Dalgan Kirwan 7th Army Service Corps

s/of ME Kirwan,

engineer to Colo Shire, Fiji;

married; wife in Fiji nee Bailey, Pier Hotel, Suva

enlisted 16 Sept. 1914

SERN 1239

landed at Gallipoli April 25, 1915

mentioned in book Hawkesbury Heroes 1

returned to Australia 19 Oct 1918

Herbert Bailey is in the photo of the Capture of the German flag posted on site. He is on the far right holding the flag

• 8 years later...

Christine is writing the story of Fiji's contribution to WW1. As we are both writing about the Fiji Labour Corps we have exchanged information. I have been pleased to provide her with material I have found at the PRO and she has provided material she has found in Fiji.

I have posted below items that I think are useful in understanding more about the Fiji Labour Corps.

30 October 1915; telegram from Acting Governor of Fiji to Sec of State for colonies, offering troops.

" Native members of Council requested me to convey to you strong desire of natives to be allowed to go to the front. No difficulty in recruiting 500 or even 1000 natives"

30 March 1916 Ratu Sukuna arrived back in Fiji after serving in French Foreign Legion

22 June 1916 article in Fiji Times.

Ratu Sukuna has formed a Fijian Force under supervision of Capt Swinburne "This force already consists of over 80 men and at the inaugural parade they presented a fine sight. ..They should be provided with a simple uniform, khakee shirts and sulus. They seem to take great interest in their work and would prove a valuable force for local defence purposes

( sulus-; sulu – wraparound skirt worn by Fijian men)

18 May 1917 departure of FLC to Honolulu then Canada, with Ratu Sukuna

26 Jun 1917 report in Fiji Times of arrival of FLC in Honolulu

1 May 1918; note in Fiji Times- "one Fiji boy killed at Marseilles on way to Egypt" (This may not refer to a native Fijian, all the men from Fiji were referred to as Fiji Boys)

16 February 1919 death of A V Evaranu (sic) in Narrow Neck Camp, Devonport, Auckland buried at Oneills Pt Cem, Devonport, NZ.

had recently arrived in NZ, invalided home as a cot case, per Hospital Ship Marama, suffering from wound in chest and lung trouble. Buried with military honours, and representation of Fiji Govt and relatives by a member of staff of LD Nathan – Fiji Govt agents in NZ

30 July Fiji Times; FLC will return about September

29 October 1919 Fiji Times; FLC arriving 31 October

31 October 1919; return of FLC.

"Kia Ora" arrived from Havre, France via Panama under Capt Levack, carrying FLC.

William Vakaotia died at sea in mid –Atlantic, buried at sea

Drumhead Thanksgiving service by Rev A J Small (head of Methodist Mission in Fiji). Tribute paid to those 10 or 11 members of the detachment that had died during their period of service" These fine young men had laid down their lives in the service of king and country as truly and as nobly as those who had fallen in battle"

There is one thing that Christine would appreciate and that is photographs of the graves of the FLC. So if anyone is going to any of LES BARAQUES MILITARY CEMETERY (1 grave) , SANGATTE, MAZARGUES WAR CEMETERY (5 graves), MARSEILLES or TARANTO TOWN CEMETERY EXTENSION (3 graves) and are willing to take photographs please let me know and I will let you know the names of the men and their location.

I met at least one member of the Fijian labour Corp in the 1970s, he told me how they went to France in their sulus and sandals, to the snow of France !, sadly he has passed on , I did not realise the signifiance of the info he could have passed on, I note that Ratu Sukuna was said to be the PM at a later date, no he was not, he was a highly regarded High Chief who played a major role in the development in the Fiji of today. he died on board ship on his way to London to attend the Queens coronation in 1953.

• 10 years later...

I have recently discovered a new photograph of the Fiji Labour Corps, taken apparently in Marseilles, which means it was after January 1918. Can anyone translate the caption, please?

ww1 Fiji fighters jan 1915.jpg

Okay, just this once, because you asked nicely! ;)

Text is cut off at the ends,so not quite sure, but I think this is what it sounds like in English:

“Detachment of warriors from the Fiji Islands, who, in the ranks of the united English and French armies, will march against Germany, have arrived at Marseille.

Their peculiar Oriental uniforms and their ["vlaggentooi" – don’t quite know how to translate that properly: “their appearance”?] add a special layer to this photo.

The Fiji Islands, situated [north?] east of New Caledonia, discovered by Tasman in 1643 [Abel Tasman, a Dutch seafarer. See: Tasmania] are one of the most important and fertile islands of Polynesia.

The inhabitants are tall of stature, very dark in colour, sagacious [=very smart], and belligerent.”

*edit*  Found a mention in a Dutch newspaper of 12 January 1915 "Detachment of warriors from the Fiji Islands arrived in Marseille" !

Fijiwarriors.jpg.a33cd494696a8532bb09b868842e26fe.jpg

https://www.delpher.nl/nl/kranten/view?query=strijders+der+fidji-eilanden&coll=ddd&identifier=MMKB15:000722029:mpeg21:a00015&resultsidentifier=MMKB15:000722029:mpeg21:a00015&rowid=1

Edited by JWK

Mate,

I still have a brown type (kilt) given to me by the Fijians to wear, when attached to them in the 70's in Fiji and Lebernon

S.B

Thank you very much, JWK. I think that newspaper cutting goes with the picture, but the date is very strange  -12 January 1915.

No native Fijians were in Europe in 1915, and the first Fiji contingent, all Europeans, had only just left Suva on 1 Jan 1915, and did not arrive in France until May 1915.

The Fiji Labour Corps, whom I think the photo is of,  left Suva on May 19, 1917 and arrived in Marseilles in January 1918, after serving in Calais. 

The photo appears to be of preparations for a parade, or maybe the aftermath. The men are wearing a formal dress uniform,with white sulus instead of the usual khaki. It is not the Armistice as they were in Taranto by then.

Perhaps the date should be 12 January 1918.

Edited by christine liava'a

What is the translation of the bit about the Maharajah Scindia of Gwalior? He also sent troops to the war, and may have actually served himself. This could help to identify the date.

Report in a German newspaper about 1500 Fiji Islanders sent to Europe from 5 December 1914: https://hwk1.hebis.de/hebis-marburg/periodical/pageview/2240129?query=fidschi

1564525363_Screenshot2022-07-29at10_38_34.png.17b50b0560212fc60c430423e11f44f0.png

An earlier article already from 20 November 1914 says that it has been decided to send a Fijian contingent: https://hwk1.hebis.de/zeitungen-hlbrm/periodical/pageview/50934?query=fidschi

The same pic with the Dutch caption appears in a French newspaper in December 1914, with the caption "Troops from the Fiji islands put at the disposition of the English": https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bd6t5143903w/f4.image.r=fidji?rk=386268;0

Edited by knittinganddeath

More pics -- originally from British newspapers and reprinted in France. Published 6 January 1915. Source: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6489962c/f8.image.r=fidji?rk=300430;4

Caption: "1. The natives of the Fiji islands (Oceania) have spontaneously offered their services to the British government, which has accepted them. Our photographs show these future soldiers practicing bayonet assaults under the orders of a British officer. 2. The uniform of the Fijian volunteers."

But when/where were these pics taken? Surely not Europe in January?

899214200_Screenshot2022-07-29at14_56_52.png.a8c6795755c0c319551e2595bba0e6cd.png

12 hours ago, christine liava'a said:

What is the translation of the bit about the Maharajah Scindia of Gwalior? He also sent troops to the war, and may have actually served himself. This could help to identify the date.

image.jpeg.54dd18aabce0421d40316234437b3612.jpeg

Christine,

I don't know how much this will help, but my guess is that the reference is about the ambulance unit provided by the Maharaja at Christmas 1914: see pages 73/75 here https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.505247/page/n179/mode/2up?q=Ambulance&view=theater

regards, Michael