Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One day at LeCateau

SilverFox100

I have just purchased, received and am now reading a book I never thought existed and is something I have been looking for. The book, 'The Royal Regiment of Artillery at Le Cateau' is a book by Major A.F.Becke first printed 1919 (unfortunately blackmaria only a reprint although I would love the original). It gives fantastic detail into the artillery of the three divisions: Five, Three and Four, along with the RHA with Cavalry Division on one day, 26th August 1914 after the retirement to Le Cateau from Mons of these divisions and then the gradual retreat to St.Quentin. A very detailed book, giving the positions of all the brigades and their batteries, along with the BAC and DAC positions. All the information here was annotated by Major Becke from the war diaries available and also by statements given by various officers of the brigade, batteries where war diaries did not exist. There are also various maps and sketches of these dispositions.

For one of the early battles of the BEF I have found this of great interest in at long last following my grandfather on some of his journey from the start of the 1914 conflicts that the early BEF was involved in. Does anybody know if any other of these small books have been put together about the involvement of the RFA at the various early battles?? Regards. Mike

This book is available to download here : http://archive.org/details/royalregimentofa00beckKeith

That's a shame but it's also nice to own a copy, I can look at it at any time without having to put the computer on, which I suppose is a plus. Do you know if any more of these types of books of the artillery? I must admit I don't know how to do the investigating on that site yet.

Thanks. Mike

Go to that link, and put in 'artillery' in the search box near the top left. That will bring up over 1,800 results.

Keith

Thanks Keith will try this out. Mike

• 4 weeks later...

What a great little book - such a shame the maps were not opened out and scanned in as well.

Paul

Oophs, my mistake, i did not have the viewing window correctly sized, the maps are there.

Paul