Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What portion of a Bn. was left in the rear ?

ddycher

All

I know that when a Bn went ito the front line a portion of the unit was left behind in the rear to form a nucleas of the battalion should it need to reform. Does anyone know what portion of the battalion was left behind ? Where was it left ? In Division or Corps Reserve ?

Would appreciate any insight as it how this worked.

Regards

Dave

Found a number of ref's on the forum now detailing "left out of battle" (you just need to know the terminology I guess). These have helped me understand the "portion" remaining behind. So the open question for me is where were they left as the battalion moved forward.

Regards

Dave

A quick look at 15 div orders for Arras 9th April would indicate that some were to be employed carrying amunition for a Bty, the remainder would apear to be billited at the transport lines in Arras itself.

After a more detailed look I'll post further.

Thanks James

Be interested in what you find. I have seen other ref's today for LOB / Transport Columns.

Regards

Dave

All

I know that when a Bn went ito the front line a portion of the unit was left behind in the rear to form a nucleas of the battalion should it need to reform. Does anyone know what portion of the battalion was left behind ? Where was it left ? In Division or Corps Reserve ?

Would appreciate any insight as it how this worked.

Regards

Dave

There is a GHQ MEF order dated 13th July 1915 (24 days before the attack) limiting the numbers of ORs going into action depending on the effective strength of the battalion:

Battalions with 800-850 ORs were limited to 700 going into the attack

Battalions with 850-900 ORs were limited to 725 going into the attack

Battalions with 900-950 ORs were limited to 750 going into the attack

Battalions with 950 and over were limited to 775 going into the attack

This is the earliest example I can find of deliberate orders that a reserve be created and left in the rear areas.

MG

Dave,

Attached images from 15th Div orders for Attack on 9th April 17.

Hopefully makes sense: 1st images is of actual orders second is return from Bde's which raises some question marks for the 45th Bde. There are references for carrying parties for RA and Re all to be drawn from the surplus lists.

I havent found the locataion on a map yet but will post further when i do.post-1527-0-31567100-1381173149_thumb.jppost-1527-0-48206000-1381173163_thumb.jp

James

Martin / James

Many thanks for this. Both aspects very interesting and a great help as I try to work my way through. Very much appreciated.

Regards

Dave