Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isaiah Davidson No record of death on CWGC or Such?

neilston

DSCF0489.jpgThis plaque originated from the South church.

“Sacred to the memory of the men of this congregation who fell in the Great War.”

2nd Lt. A.R Ferguson

Sgt. I. Davidson

Sgt. A. Winning MM

Cpl. R. McLintock

L/Cpl. W. Andrew

L/Cpl. J. Paton

Pte. A. Craig

Pte. A. Gebbie

Pte. H. B. Johnston

Pte. P. McGuffock

Pte. W. Paterson

Pte. T. E. Shemwell

Rman. W. Hopkinson

Gun. R. Inglis

“Henceforth a Crown”

1914 – 1919

DSCF0504.jpgSchool memorial

You posted the register -if he was not on the absent voters list, then there is a probability, no more than that, that his death preceded its compilation provided that he had not moved away for work. Presumably you are working through all the local newspaper entries just in case there's a mention, as well as checking for a school magazine.

Keith

Davidson William A&SH 6th Neilston Public school 1914 Roll of Honor Davidson Isaiah Listed On Neilston school war memorial Listed On Neilston school war memorial

You posted the register -if he was not on the absent voters list, then there is a probability, no more than that, that his death preceded its compilation provided that he had not moved away for work. Presumably you are working through all the local newspaper entries just in case there's a mention, as well as checking for a school magazine.

Keith

Keith

The local new paper Had a list of soldiers written by The local JP- Dr Pride that left for war 1914 Isaiah was not on this and he has not turned up on any other reels from the paper 1914 -1920

and the school mag from 1914 only listed a William Davidson 1/6

Cheers Matt

So our guy went to that school must have enlisted after 1914 and was not on the voters roll 1918

Apologies if i'm flogging a dead horse but what if Isaiah enlisted as Alexander for reasons unknown?

He'd be known by the military as Alexander, and locally as Isaiah, matching the facts as I understand them;

LOCAL

Isaiah appears on the census, but Alexander does not.

Isaiah appears on the school memorial, but Alexander does not.

Sgt Isaiah Davidson appears on the church memorial, but Sgt Alexander Davidson does not.

MILITARY

Alexander has a medal card but Isaiah does not.

Alexander appears on CWGC and SDGW, but Isaiah does not.

I agree that there is something odd here.

No MIC, no CWGC, no death record

The balance of probability, as the evidence stands, is that he served under another name - though whether that was "Alexander Davidson" or "John Smith", is difficult to say!

That would still leave the problem of Sgt Alexander Davidson, born Neilston and resident in Neilston, but not apparently on the census or any local memorial.

My post #19 - his birth is on ScotlandsPeople, but the cert will not tell you is not known from this thread - ie it will give his parents and where they were living in 1888

Its his death cert that is the problem !

From Scotlands People, between the years 1880 and 1899, there were 5 males with the surname of Davidson who were born in Neilston one of whom was Isaiah. There is no evidence of an Alexander either being born in Neilston or nearby Barrhead which as previously indicated could be recorded as the Parish of Neilston.

The returns of Warrant Officers, NCO's and men has Sgt. Alexander Davidson 17th. Btn. Royal Scots dying of his wounds in France on 25 March 1918, His age was recorded as 26.

Douglas

It's probably nothing, but, there is an Isa (Female) of Neilston 1911, just thought I'd ' chuck it in ' :whistle:

1911 Census

1 Wellpark Cottage Neilston
John 40 Coal salesman
Margaret 40
Isa 15 (F) Packer Cotton thread Factory
William 13
Maggie 11
Mary 9
Willie 6
Jeanie 3
John 3 months

167k2mr.jpg

Mike

1/6/1929 Isaiah Cherry Davidson (Explosives Factory Worker) (24) 38? Ardoch Crescent Stevenston marries Lily Graham Caddies age 22 of 33 Green Street Saltcoats.

I thought this might be a possible, added after the war, but I can't see a death cert, other than the 3rd of these.

v62eiw.jpg

Mike

Hi All....

Thanks Corisande, forgive my ignorance I'm not au fait with the North of the border records except the censuses don't include Alexander but there is a variation with his sister's middle name and the abbreviations..

I presume Alexander Davidson would have risen through the ranks but his MIC only shows him as a Sjt. with the Brit and Vic which were returned. SDGW has him as previous with the 5th Reserve Cavalry Regt. There is a MIC to a Pte. A.I Davidson S/8543 of the Gordon Highlanders who entered France on 10th March 1915 and the MIC is for the 15 Star only. Could that possibly be him?????

Regards Barry

Hi All

Somewhat puzzled! According to Douglas (Post 35) Sgt. Alexander Davidson was 26 when he died. Haven't we proved that the man we are looking for was born in 1888? That makes him 30 at time of death. Not 26 as quoted in the Returns mentioned by Douglas. Still searching.....

Regards Barry

Barry

I have found with other researches that the age on the returns is not always accurate. It does not vary considerably (usually no more than + / - 2 years) but the record can be at variance with the true age. I am not sure if this is because the age was supplied by the armed forces but having seen age variations in Census returns too, it may not be too much of a surprise.

Douglas

I had a go at getting death cert for Alexander but to no avail. All that exists is

davidson.jpg

I was hoping to find something with more details on Alexander