Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Duke of Wellington (West Riding) Regiment- 2nd Lt Duncan

jamesday

Hi

I am researching a Great Uncle, 2nd Lt Roy Duncanson, killed on 7th July near Mametz Wood. He was commissioned in May 1915. His service record does not survive at Kew. I have the MIC. Can anyone point me at alternatives or does anyone have access to the diary from May 15 to July 16 please?

Thanks

James

James

Surely this is his file - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C1102590

But you'll need to visit Kew to see it.

I'm afraid I can't help with the war diary.

Kind regards

Colin

I have just found the same reference. and then read Colin's post. Surely that is your man.

Keith

Many thanks chaps. Sorry but I have carelessly misled you. I was at Kew on Thursday and found his personal file that you mention. But the actual record of service page, ie postings and units and dates was missing from it. Very frustrating. So my only hope is that the War Diary that should give me his arrival with them in France. Unless anyone can suggest other sources. I must return to Kew.

Colin, as a Public Schools Bn expert, can you comment on the known fact that Roy, on enlisting was posted to the19th Bn Royal Fusiliers as a private, as it was expected that he would make a good officer. He had attended Maidstone Grammar School and been a corporal in the OTC.

Thanks again

James

James

I wouldn't say I'm an expert.

Generally men enlisted in the UPS brigade RF battalions due to the ethos of serving amongst like-minded men. Many wanted to see the war as an enlisted man rather than be gazetted as an officer by which time the war might be all over. However as the brigade took plenty of time to train a number of men left to take up commissions with other units rather than wait to go to France with the UPS Brigade. Also, as officer casualties increased so the criteria for officers was relaxed from those educated at the top flight public schools (Eton, Harrow etc) to a wider range of public and grammar schools.

Unfortunately MICs don't often have mention of their UPS service if they were gazetted before the brigade arrived in France in November 1915. Roy was gazetted in May 1915. His officer's file would normally have his enlisted service record and include his commission application papers - the enlistment papers are normally the only way of identifying the service of men who left before November 1915. I know officers files were weeded but I haven't found any missing both sets of documents. As such I don't have Roy on my database which I've started using the medal rolls. I would guess that if he enlisted on or about September 1914 he would have a service number of approximately PS/280-290.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin. Have sent you a PM

James