Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old pattern Victorian and Edwardian Cap Badges worn in WW1

Sepoy

In a recent badge related topic, it appears that a Edward VII (1902 - 1910) pattern Royal Engineers cap badge was being worn by a Soldier during the Great War. Scanning through Great War Postcards/Photographs "out of period" cap badges can be seen being worn from time to time.

There could be a number of reasons for this ranging from "old stores" being issued to meet demand, to NCOs wearing earlier pattern cap badges to mark the out from the new recruits. I have heard the argument that this would have not been allowed by the RSM, but they probably had more important things to worry about.

Accordingly, I have attached a few clear examples and would encourage other forum members to post similar photos.

Sepoy

Here is a Victorian Crown "Two Turret" Suffolk Regiment cap badge being worn

post-55476-0-31746800-1380977586_thumb.j

post-55476-0-37468600-1380977631_thumb.j

Here is a group photograph showing members of the Royal Scots and King's Own Scottish Borderers Pay Section at Hamilton.

Several Victorian Crown Army Pay Corps cap badges are clearly being worn. From the long service stripes and medal ribbons on display one is obviously an "old sweat".

post-55476-0-62580800-1380977822_thumb.j

post-55476-0-81128900-1380977839_thumb.j

An interesting subject. QVC buttons are occasionally found on service dress. I once owned a Royal Berks jacket with a single Victorian GS button on a hip pocket flap - carefully (I presume) put on upside down to disguise the QVC. I've also seen a Scottish officer's jacket (many years ago, I forget the regiment) with large Victorian buttons and small KC ones. Since there must have been many QVC buttons and badges about, it's surprising that, at a time of scarcity, more of them weren't used.

Why does a pay office have a boy scout attending?

Boy Scouts were used as runners/messengers etc. Probably made the tea as well.

Un-surprisingly, they were awarded a sew on cloth badge for their war service. I actually have an example, somewhere, but it is very badly moth damaged.

"Dyb Dyb Dob"

Sepoy