Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ceremonies at Buckingham Palace.

Keith Sloane

Is anyone aware of Medal being presented at Buckingham Palace, by the King My interest is the NZer 2/ Lieut Ken Nicol MC. He was awarded his MC for action at La Basse-Ville. He left with the Dunsterforce

in about January 1918, actually leaving the NZ 1/LTMB for London on route to Dunsterforce that month so expect the ceremony to be in that short period.

Keith.

The short answer is yes, although I don't have details. I have seen a photograph of an officer with his wife taken just after he received his MC, and have with all its risks a report of a family member who went to London shortly after the war to receive the same award. The latter is oral history, but I have no reason to disbelieve it as the source was his son in law, and I have seen the MC.

Keith

Is anyone aware of Medal being presented at Buckingham Palace, by the King My interest is the NZer 2/ Lieut Ken Nicol MC. He was awarded his MC for action at La Basse-Ville. He left with the Dunsterforce

in about January 1918, actually leaving the NZ 1/LTMB for London on route to Dunsterforce that month so expect the ceremony to be in that short period.

Keith.

Keith,

Your post interested me, as I have been trying to identify the recipient of a medal grouping in my Collection which belonged to a member of the Dunsterforce who had also been awarded the Military Cross, so far, I have been unsuccessful.

As you can see from the attached photograph, the recipient was awarded the MC., had been mentioned in despatches, had served in N.W. Persia with the Dunsterforce and had also served on the N.W. Frontier, Waziristan and Afghanistan.

There were not that many Military Cross holders who also served with the Dunsterforce, and I wondered if in your research of 2/ Lieut. Ken Nicol are you able to confirm his being MID., and also his serving in those other regions.

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-93600000-1380976414_thumb.j

My Grandfather leaving Buckingham Palace following the investiture where he was presented with the Bar to his MC. Sometime in 1919 I think.

Roger

post-42671-0-33654500-1380980630_thumb.j

Investitures were announced under Court Circulars in the Times. I have had a quick look for Ken Nicol without luck. When was his MC Gazetted??

Sepoy

Investitures were announced under Court Circulars in the Times. I have had a quick look for Ken Nicol without luck. When was his MC Gazetted??

Sepoy

Is this him - NZA NICOL Robert Kenneth 2Lt MC New Zealand Infantry DSER 26.9.1917 L.G. Page 9981

What was the protocol for presenting a bar to a medal? was the original medal with 'bar' attached, presented again" or was the bar presented in a box or something??

khaki

What was the protocol for presenting a bar to a medal? was the original medal with 'bar' attached, presented again" or was the bar presented in a box or something??

khaki

That is a good question

Roger

LF

Surely his Victory and War medals would be stamped? Or did that not happen in your man's case.

Keith

LF

Surely his Victory and War medals would be stamped? Or did that not happen in your man's case.

Keith

It appears that the photo in post 4 shows a miniature medal group which would have been privately purchased. They are not normally named, but very occasionally recipients did do this.

Sepoy

Whoops - medals aren't my thing and I completely failed to register that these are miniatures.

Keith

Whoops - medals aren't my thing and I completely failed to register that these are miniatures.

Keith

Keith,

That is not a problem, I have posted them before on GWF for different reasons, and normally state they are a miniature grouping. My mistake.

Regards,

LF

It appears that the photo in post 4 shows a miniature medal group which would have been privately purchased. They are not normally named, but very occasionally recipients did do this.

Sepoy

Sepoy,

Yes, you are correct. They are solid silver, and were made by Court Jewellers, Mappin and Webb, whom I contacted. Unfortunately, they do not have WW1 period records.

However, due to the unusual combination of the awards, I am hopeful of tracking down the original recipient.

Regards,

LF

LF

It certainly is a nice miniature medal group, I will keep my eyes open for any potential recipients. Have you tried narrowing down the Regiments that were entitled to the North West Persia, Afghan and Waziristan bars?

Sepoy

LF

It certainly is a nice miniature medal group, I will keep my eyes open for any potential recipients. Have you tried narrowing down the Regiments that were entitled to the North West Persia, Afghan and Waziristan bars?

Sepoy

Many thanks, much apprecaited.

I shall wait now to see if OP Keith has any information as to my post # 4, as I do not wish to encroach onto his 2/ Lieut Ken Nicol MC Thread content.

Regards,

LF

Keith,

Your post interested me, as I have been trying to identify the recipient of a medal grouping in my Collection which belonged to a member of the Dunsterforce who had also been awarded the Military Cross, so far, I have been unsuccessful.

As you can see from the attached photograph, the recipient was awarded the MC., had been mentioned in despatches, had served in N.W. Persia with the Dunsterforce and had also served on the N.W. Frontier, Waziristan and Afghanistan.

There were not that many Military Cross holders who also served with the Dunsterforce, and I wondered if in your research of 2/ Lieut. Ken Nicol are you able to confirm his being MID., and also his serving in those other regions.

Any assistance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

LF

Ken Nicol NOT MID. Was with the NZEF in France 1917 with the 1/LTMB most of the time from mid 1917 to Jan 1918.

Is this him - NZA NICOL Robert Kenneth 2Lt MC New Zealand Infantry DSER 26.9.1917 L.G. Page 9981

My Apologies to all for my tardyness here. Have been head down for last week, make that month, putting final touches to history on the NZ 1/LTMB history. Almost done; 350 pages, incl 250 pics.

Nicols Citation;

NICOL, Robert Kenneth 10/2499

M.C. 2nd Wellington Regiment

L.G. 9 January 1918, p662, Rec. 1085.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in charge of Stokes mortars in the defence of a captured village one of his two guns was destroyed so he handed the other on to his corporal and joined the company, which was in the village. Here he displayed magnificent gallantry and the utmost fearlessness in assisting the company commander personally leading a bombing party against an enemy counter-attack and accounting for six of the enemy himself in the desperate hand-to-hand fighting which ensued. His prompt action and fine leadership saved the situation.

K.I.A. Persia 5 August 1918, attached to Dunsterforce.

Thanks for the replies. Seems it was quite possible Nicol was presented his medal at Buck House. His family seem to think so.

Keith.

Thanks for the replies. Seems it was quite possible Nicol was presented his medal at Buck House. His family seem to think so.

Keith.

Keith,

Many thanks for checking to see if 2nd Lt. Nicol was a match, or not.

Also, you should be able to go on line to the British National Archives and check the Military Cross Register. My understanding, is that Registers were kept for some of the awards, I know that one was kept for the D.S.O., and I was able to review that Register on line and download it. Hopefully, one was kept for the Military Cross.

You will see from the attached copy of a page from the D.S.O. Register, that along with details of the recipient, records were kept of those D.S.O. investitures by the King at Buckingham Place, including the date of the investiture.

If you are able to review those M.C. records, that will give you the proof positive you are looking for. Having found the date of the investiture, you can then look for newspaper cuttings etc., where you may be lucky enough to find a photograph, you can also check the Court Circular for that date, which should also give details of the investiture by the King.

Perhaps another Forum member will know of the M.C. Register, and how to access it at the N.A.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-30095300-1381407994_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

My Apologies to all for my tardyness here. Have been head down for last week, make that month, putting final touches to history on the NZ 1/LTMB history. Almost done; 350 pages, incl 250 pics.

Nicols Citation;

NICOL, Robert Kenneth 10/2499

M.C. 2nd Wellington Regiment

L.G. 9 January 1918, p662, Rec. 1085.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When in charge of Stokes mortars in the defence of a captured village one of his two guns was destroyed so he handed the other on to his corporal and joined the company, which was in the village. Here he displayed magnificent gallantry and the utmost fearlessness in assisting the company commander personally leading a bombing party against an enemy counter-attack and accounting for six of the enemy himself in the desperate hand-to-hand fighting which ensued. His prompt action and fine leadership saved the situation.

K.I.A. Persia 5 August 1918, attached to Dunsterforce.

Lt Nicol was originally awarded the Military Cross in the London Gazette of 26th September, 1917, which was a simple list of names. He was decorated on 28th November, 1917.

The details of the award was then gazetted on 8th January, 1918. The award was made for his bravery at La Basse Ville on 31st July, 1917.

The above information has been gleaned from the Military Cross Register and Card index downloaded (for free!) from the National Archives.

Sepoy

The above information has been gleaned from the Military Cross Register and Card index downloaded (for free!) from the National Archives.

Sepoy

Sepoy,

Do you have the link to that ' the Military Cross Register and Card index downloaded (for free!) from the National Archives. ' ? as I have an M.C. recipient to look up.

Many thanks,

LF

Sepoy,

Do you have the link to that ' the Military Cross Register and Card index downloaded (for free!) from the National Archives. ' ? as I have an M.C. recipient to look up.

Many thanks,

LF

LF

Try here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/browse/C14593?v=r

I have downloaded the entire Register, which is basically the London Gazette entries with hand written additions as to where and when the actual actions took place. I have also downloaded the alphabetical index cards which give the gazette dates and the dates of decoration or disposal of the award. The registers also cover the DSO.

Up to recently you could only gain access to these as microfilms at the National Archives and I am delighted that they have now been released on line. It makes it so much easier to track down a Military Cross rather than do battle with the London Gazette site.

Sepoy

Sepoy,

Many thanks for the link, easy to download, and I found both my M.C.s very quickly.

As you say, the very vital additional pieces information found in the Register, are the name of the location where the action took place which led to the award of the M.C., and the date of that action.

Regards,

LF