Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info please on Army Vet. Lieutenant

yelob

Hi All,

I would appreciate if anyone could give me info on a Jeremiah Hegarty who served with the Army Veterinary Corps. Only real info I have is that he died 1929 and was born in Melbourne. He was made a propationary Lieutenant in Sept. 1914 from the Royal Vet.College in Dublin. I am trying to trace where he was deployed etc and any other info.

Thanks a lot,

Liam

Hi Liam,

You may already have this information from his Medal Index Card? It appears that he is entitled to the 1914 Star, BWM and VM. This means that he served in France or Belgium prior to 22/11/14--otherwise he would have had the 1914/15 Star. There is no mention of a clasp to the Star, but this may be because it was not claimed.

His widow claimed his medals on 23/12/29 and gave an address as: Mrs J.J.Hegarty, c/o Mr Sumner, 148 Bispham Road, Blackpool.

It appears that he ended up a Major, although his 1914 will show Lieutenant and the BWM & VM will show Captain.

If I can come up with any further info, then I will let you know.

Robert

Extract page 771 War Services of Military Officers of the Army (originally published as supplement to the Official Army List April 1920).

HEGARTEY J.J. (Capt R.A.V.C.)

1914-9 – 1914 Star.

Extract page 1783c Army List Feb 1915

HEGARTEY J.J. Lieutenant (on probation) 9 Sept 1914.

correction should read HEGARTY.

No service file in the public domain for a J HEGARTY,so it is likely that he served beyond 1921and his file is with Army Records.

Thanks very much to everyone for the great info.

If his file is with Army Records is it possible to access it and if so how?

Extract page 771 War Services of Military Officers of the Army (originally published as supplement to the Official Army List April 1920).

HEGARTEY J.J. (Capt R.A.V.C.)

1914-9 – 1914 Star.

Extract page 1783c Army List Feb 1915

HEGARTEY J.J. Lieutenant (on probation) 9 Sept 1914.

Liam

Just so you know I checked for this spelling too. No hits in service records.

He was promoted Captain on 10.9.1915

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29567/supplements/4443

Seconded for service with the Indian Continuous Service Cadre 1st Nov. 1924 as Captain

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33001/pages/9073

Promoted Major 25.3.1929

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33507/pages/4030

The following from the Church of L. D. S. database is interesting, and hopefully not coincidence. It looks convincing:-

a Jeremiah James Hegarty, age 31, married Doreen Boyd, age 26, on 7.11.1923, at Lahore, Bengal, India

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGJ7-GY6

From a ship's manifest:-

Doreen Hegarty arrived at Liverpool from Bombay on 1st April 1930, age 32, described as housewife, address - Ballyvourney, Macroom, Co. Cork, country of last permanent residence - India, country of intended future permanent residence - Irish Free State. She was accompanied by Jeremiah J. Hergarty, age 5, described as child. All other details as his mother.

There appears to be no registration of the death of Jeremiah James Hegarty available online. As a British Army Officer you would have expected that he would have had some estate value in England, but there is no probate record for him.

Thanks so much Harry and Peter, I wish I was closer so I could stand you all a round of drinks!

I wasn't expecting to find so much info.

I have no idea what (if any) records they keep, but presumably he must have been a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. Might be worth a spin trying them.

• 3 months later...