Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military bands and marches

dr.beef

• 1 month later...

My first visit to the forum for some time, but timely as MrSwan mentions my pipe tune "THE BURNING MILL AT MESSINES" has arisen again. The Burning Mill, was one of the discs chosen by Michael Morpurgo on 'Dessert Island Discs' a couple of years ago, which took me very much by surprise as I had not published my composition. I actually composed it in October 1984, to commemorate the 70th anniversary of The London Scottish action on The Messines Ridge (31 Oct. 1914). I was even greater surprised to learn that I had apparently composed the tune during The Great War. I realise that I am getting old, but didn't know that I was quite that old !!

John Spoore (still only 77) Formerly 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders, late Pipe Major The London Scottish Pipes and Drums and Personal Piper to the late Queen Mother).

I was even greater surprised to learn that I had apparently composed the tune during The Great War. I realise that I am getting old, but didn't know that I was quite that old !!

That's the thing - when you're that old, you tend to forget things. Have you had your tea?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

John,

Good to hear from you and thank you for composing such a great tune!

I'm sorry if I have somehow misplaced your place in history - it seems that over the years my list of bagpipe tunes about the First World War has mistakenly become a list of bagpipe tunes from the First World War.

Hi again Mr Swan, I was in Messines (Messen) over the Hallowe'en weekend, with 100+ London Scottish Association Members, to commemorate The Centenary of The first Battle for The Messines Ridge (31st Oct.1914). We walked the whole route from Forming Up Point (FOP) to Point of Contact (POC), on THE ACTUAL DAY, at the exact minute, + 100 years. I played my composition "The Burning Mill at Messines" at The London Scottish Memorial, which stands just 50 or so meters North of where The Messines Windmill had stood for several hundred years (it is clearly recorded on a print of Messines dated 1560). The actual footprint of the mill, was subject to much debate on the forum a couple of years ago. It's exact footprint is now firmly established. John.

And very moving it was, too.

The chap who addressed the haggis at the Messines Dinner was pretty good, too.