Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Royal Fusiliers July 1916

johnnie

Dear All,

I was wondering if anybody might be able to help me. I am trying to find out where the 8th Battalion Royal Fusiliers were on the 23rd July 1916. They seem to have lost at least 27 men on the day, and I was wondering if they were involved in the Battle of Pozieres as that started on the 23rd, but wasn't sure.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

Many thanks for that. I've been having some trouble reading it and was wondering if anybody else might be able to work out the words that I couldn't read.

Quiet day. Front line occupied for the first time by day. Sniping posts ??? with dummy periscopes ??? succeeded in ??? the enemy and ???? were ??? to a ??? mortar strafe at ???. 7th R Sussex Reg officers came up to prepare to take over. Sudden orders that we ??? ??? by 113th Inf Bde 38th Division.

Hi

post-10072-0-31915400-1380903218_thumb.j

sniping posts "provided" ........ "evidently" succeeded in "worrying" the enemy after they were subjected to a trench mortar strafe at 2pm.

Last bit is "we should be relieved"

Regards,

Graeme

Many thanks for the help with the handwriting.

Charles. Could you tell me how you know that the men killed were attached to the Manchesters? I was also wondering if you happened to have the war diary covering the Manchesters for that day or if you know what they were doing.

Thanks again

Johnnie

Johnnie

I found the information from the Royal Fusiliers medal rolls. 19th Manchesters were part of 30th Division and at 3.40am on 23 July assaulted the village of Guillemont from Trones Wood. They suffered from uncut wire, but some men managed to get into the village, but were forced to withdraw by early afternoon. Alas, I don't have a copy of the war diary, but the National Archives at Kew will have it and possibly it has been digitised.

Charles M.

Here is the List of Missing from the Times of 9-9-1916 showing the attachment to the Manchester Regiment:

post-6536-0-72980000-1380968288_thumb.jp

Steve.

Johnnie

The war diary is available to download from the National Archives - WO95/2329 for £3.36. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7353638

There are 2-3 pages in the diary and three pages of after action report and maps - a little too much to transcribe. If you just want the report message me an email address.

Kind regards

Colin

Many thanks for all of the help with this. I see the chap I have been researching, A. Morris, is listed in The Times list which confirms how he was killed.

Colin. Thanks for the offer.

I'll try and sort out down loading the full war diary this week as it would be nice to put the account with the medals.

johnnie