Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt. Arnold Cantell

Fattyowls

Remembering today acting Sgt.2/1586 Arnold Charles Cantell, 6th (Howitzer) Battery, NZ Artillery killed 4th October 1916 and buried in Flatiron Copse Cemetery, Mametz.

I believe Arnold Cantell was a member of the Everton FC of Auckland, NZ. His teammate Pt. Jeoffrey Charmichael would be killed one year to the day later near S'Gravenstafel, a day after another teammate Lt. Thomas Brewer died of wounds received in the same area.

post-101238-0-21769000-1380880652_thumb.

post-101238-0-75965200-1380880692_thumb.

post-101238-0-50819900-1380880710_thumb.

Lest we forget rest in peace boys

Keith

How is it going with your reading list?, have just finished Somme Harvest by Giles E M Eyre and am now on Unversed in Arms by P D Ravenscroft both for the second time (both good reads but i probably have a bias as they both relate to my grandfathers battalion) have you read There's a devil in the drum by John Lucy? another good read and one recommended to me by Chris Baker, also The war the infantry knew by Captain J C Dunn both good reading.

Regards Keith

How is it going with your reading list?

Keith, thanks for your thought for Arnold. Flatiron Copse is a tranquil place 97 years on and nice to visit which I try to do when I'm in the area. I must note the graves either side of Sgt. Cantell next time I'm there as I think they might contain his whole gun crew or at least most of them. The single word answer to your question on reading is badly. I'll PM you with the details......

Hello Pete, Yes I remember Flat Iron Copse as being very quiet when i visited with Chris Baker in 2010. Remember i found the grave of Sgt Crosskey from my Grandfathers Bn and the grave of Corporal Dwyer who won his VC at Hooge, Also remember Chris mentioned that Dwyer had a recorded interview done in which he spoke of his experiences in the line from 1914 on and then breaking into a marching song they used to sing. I found the recording on a website when i returned home and found it very moving hearing the sound of his voice, when a short time prior i had been paying my respects at his grave side.

Keith, although I didn't get to Flatiron Copse this year; I did think of Dwyer when I was at Hill 60. There is something haunting about voices from so long ago.

post-101238-0-87304200-1380992101_thumb.

Hi Guys

Dwyer is one of my heroes. The audio recording of him is amazing isn't it. After being awarded his VC he went on a recruitment promotional tour around London (and maybe elsewhere), and I know he marched through the southern boroughs when they were looking to recruit the 12th East Surreys (Bermondsey) and 11th RWKs (Lewisham) (and perhaps 10th (Battersea) and 11th (Lambeth) Queen's and 13th (Wandsworth) East Surreys, not sure). He also addressed a crowd at my old home town (Croydon) to urge men to enlist (although it must have grated him as it was a Queen's Royal West Surreys area - the East Surrey's arch-rivals!!). As I understand it he asked to be returned to the front.

Apparently he was reprimanded for stealing another man's boots, but that shows him as a human being, not just a VC winner

Have yet to visit his grave to show my respects, but I will

Good to see your project posts getting out there Pete

All the best both,

Jim

Gentlemen, I am sure I have seen a drawing from a contemporary publication (possibly "Deeds that Thrill the Empire") of Dwyer winning his VC at Zwarte leen. In it he appears to be ready to throw a hair brush which was actually one of the early hand grenades. I get the impression that some of the early hand grenades may have been about as much use; however I think Dwyer would still have attacked the Germans even armed with an item of hair styling equipment. I'm sure Arnold Cantell would be proud to lie in such distinguished company. We will not see their like again.