Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5/Royal Berkshire Regiment to 1/5 Northumberland Fusiliers - when?

aradgick

I an trying to follow the experiences of William Barker, 10435, 5th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment, who was transferred to 42771, 1/5th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers.

I've checked the War Diary for the 5/Berkshires, but there is no mention of a transfer taking place. Can anyone give me an idea of when it would have occurred please?

Andrewr

I an trying to follow the experiences of William Barker, 10435, 5th Battalion, Royal Berkshire Regiment, who was transferred to 42771, 1/5th Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers.

I've checked the War Diary for the 5/Berkshires, but there is no mention of a transfer taking place. Can anyone give me an idea of when it would have occurred please?

Andrewr

Bit of an odd one this one as there is no firm evidence that 42771 Pte William Barker did actually serve with the 1/5th Bn at the time of his death on the 9th April 1918, except in Soldiers Died. All other sources, of which the Medal Roll is primary, seem to point to the fact that he was actually serving with the 19th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers when he was killed, and no other NF Battalions are recorded.

Overall within this numbering group only a handfull actually were transferred to 'service' unit's the bulk of them serving with the 3rd(H.S.)Garrison Bn, the Depot or the 36th Bn all being discharged in 1917 or 1918. The possibility of trying to establish a 'transfer' date is therfore made very difficult, but as the earliest DIscharge is May 1917, then it's possible they arrived around the March/April period of 1917.

Thanks Graham, that's useful. I was hoping his NF Service number might give a clue.

Andrewr

William Barker is not included in the Roll of Honour in the History of the 19th NF, published 1920, just to add to the mystery

Don't you just love it when a man refuses to be pinned down?