Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Peter Hart 'The Greatness of Haig', Eastbourne Redoubt, Saturd

Jim Hastings

Hi All,

Just wondered if any forum members are planning to go to this at the weekend?

http://www.eastbournemuseums.co.uk/thedms.aspx?dms=13&venue=3410803&feature=63

It is the first one I am managing to get to and am really looking forward to it. Richard Van Emden is presenting there in November too, would like to get to that one also ('Boy Soldiers')

All the best

Jim

I wanted to get to the first one, by Taff, but was still out of the country sadly. Did you get to it Martin?

Wonder what they have planned for next year!!??

Jim

In a nutshell, bl**dy brilliant, a logical, sensible, realistic argument expressed with all the humour of Peter's books - I was already in the 'not a donkey' camp with regards to Haig and now even more so. Evocative venue, nice cuppa and a great talk, thank you Peter, and Ryan and your team for arranging

Also got an early copy (its was on the list to staple to relatives' heads at X*as as they did not get my subtle hints last December ...) of his 'The Great War'

All the very best

Jim

P.S. For those that missed it, I overheard Peter telling someone that he is in Lewes next week delivering a similar talk on Haig, so I presume for WFA there

Pleased you enjoyed it, Jim, but sorry not to have met you. I asked several people if they might be Jim Hastings, but none of them were. Liz in Eastbourne and I saw Martin (Tootrock), who we met at Andy Robertshaw's talk in September, but I'm afraid I forgot to ask Ryan to ask you to identify yourself at the end of the first session. We were sitting with Gary Mead, who Pete addressed on a number of occasions, and I had the doubtful privilege of being fingered by Pete as 'the German expert' when he was deflecting a question about Falkenhayn.

I'm not sure I would describe the Alexei Sayle of military history as 'logical, sensible and realistic', but it was certainly a characteristically passionate, forthright and thought-provoking advocation of 'The Chief', and I very much doubt whether anyone who heard it will unquestioningly entertain 'donkeys' mythology ever again.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Sorry not to have met you, Liz or Martin either, from your description above, I was sitting about two rows in front of you on the other side of the aisle, the guy Pete indicated was a FB but then thought better of it and who later asked him what veterans' reaction to the attacks on Haig were when they were interviewed in the 70s-90s.

The guy who looked like Ross Kemp on a bad hair day lol

I am trying to get to the one next month, just have to make sure my wife is back 'in country' first, but will definitely be attending the talks next year, so hope to meet you all soon.

All the very best

Jim

Hi Jim. Yes, I think it was very magnanimous of you to be cast in the role of General Grierson without protest. Sorry we missed you this time, but we will know you another time. Not sure yet whether we will be around for Richard van Emden's talk in November. If not, we'll look out for you next season.

All best

Mick

Indeed, it was very stimulating. As well as being a very entertaining speaker, Peter has the knack of making his audience and readers take a different approach to the subject.

Got a great deal from it. Well done to Ryan and other organisers at The Redoubt for their work in putting this series of talks on.

Sussex WFA are also hosting Peter Hart again this Friday 11th October 2013, Lews Town Hall, 7.30

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200526&hl=

In a nutshell, bl**dy brilliant, a logical, sensible, realistic argument expressed with all the humour of Peter's books - I was already in the 'not a donkey' camp with regards to Haig and now even more so. Evocative venue, nice cuppa and a great talk, thank you Peter, and Ryan and your team for arranging

Also got an early copy (its was on the list to staple to relatives' heads at X*as as they did not get my subtle hints last December ...) of his 'The Great War'

All the very best

Jim

P.S. For those that missed it, I overheard Peter telling someone that he is in Lewes next week delivering a similar talk on Haig, so I presume for WFA there

Missed you again, Michael! Sorry - didn't realise you were going to be there. Next time, perhaps?

It was good to meet Peter Hart, however, and discover that he is less fierce in person than I had feared from some of his appearances on the forum. His talk was just as impassioned and entertaining as I'd hoped; I thought it could have been a bit baffling to anyone unfamiliar with the debates on Haig. Then again, it's unlikely anyone attending such a talk would be doing it from a position of total ignorance.

Liz

Edited by Liz in Eastbourne

Maybe you should start these sessions with an introduction - Mr Hastings could stand up and say "I am Jim hastings", followed by Michael saying "I am Jim Hastings", followed by Liz saying "I am Jim Hastings" until we get to Martin, who says "I am Jim Hastings ... and so is my wife".

Just a thought. Feel free to adapt as you see fit.

Ah a bit of a Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis Spartacus scenario then Steven ....

Well done on Mastermind, I barely know enough about WW1 let alone any other period campaigns!!

You know what Liz, Peter was exactly how I imagined he would be! Hope to meet you next time too

All the best

I'm Hastings ... No, I'm Hastings ...

Peter was exactly how I imagined he would be!

You must have a very vivid imagination!

Usually I get it really wrong Alan, what I usually imagine people to be like is normally way off, but for once ... maybe it was the confines of the casement the talk was set in lol

Usually I get it really wrong Alan, what I usually imagine people to be like is normally way off, but for once ... maybe it was the confines of the casement the talk was set in lol

Jim

So let me get this right. You imagined Peter to be "normally way off" and he was exactly how you imagined him to be?

Mmm. Possibly best to stop digging :)

A pity he is no longer on the GWF. I, for one, miss his contributions

Paul

Haha, no Paul,usually I am way off in how I imagine people to be from how they prove to be in reality, with Peter how I imagined him was just how he was. I too miss his contribution to the forum, and told him such, and he said he still reads the forum just no longer posts - shame and a loss, but have to respect his decision ...

In short, if a forum member gets a chance to hear him talk, go for it!!

Wonder what Ryan and his team have planned for next year?

Jim

I'm Hastings ... No, I'm Hastings ...

We actually wondered, Jim, whether you are Hastings or whether you're from Hastings ...

Perhaps at future talks, Ryan could plant a GWF flag on one of the tables outside the café and Pals could rally round it before the talk and/or at the refreshment interval.

That sounds like a plan Mick, or something similar, be nice to put faces to names and meet GWF members - so many of you have helped me with queries in the past it would be really nice to shake your hands and thank you in person

No I am a Hastings; not even a Sussex born and bred man I'm afraid

(nor related to Gavin Hastings as my rugby teacher was disappointed to find out)

If any GWF pal is going to be at Peter's talk wtih Sussex WFA this Friday 11th October in Lewes, and wants to meet up, feel free to message me.

I won't be at the next Eastbourne Redoubt talk, unfortunately it clashes with a Wilfred Owen Association AGM and gathering .

I like Siege Gunner's idea of a meet up of GWF pals beforehand. The cafe wasn't there last year but now seems an obvious place to congregate.

I think Ryan needs to organise a talk where the speaker doesn't turn up and the would-be audience spends two hours talking among themselves ...

Hello Michael

I won't be at the Sussex meeting this week. I heard Peter's talk earlier in the year at a Hampshire meeting.

Mandy

Maybe Mr Hastings could become an Honorary Captain. That would exercie pals' leetle grey cells ...

Sorry not to see you Mandy, will send PM. Best wishes, Michael

EDIT Will E mail you, looks like your GWF message box is full!

Hello Michael

I won't be at the Sussex meeting this week. I heard Peter's talk earlier in the year at a Hampshire meeting.

Mandy