Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Walter Humphreys - 2/10 London Regt

blind spot

Hi im looking to find any help in finding out where my uncle Thomas Walter Humphreys 421465 was when he died of wounds july 1918.

i would be very greatfull for any help in reserching his unit , im aware from his medal roll he was awarded the victory and british medals,im very new to reserching but would like to know more, ive tried to obtain service records but cant seem to find any,thanks for any help

hello

you might get a better response if you mention who he served with

I've editted the title to show your uncle's name and regiment (contained in a tag) and I've also moved the thread to the Soldiers section

Alan

of course like i said new to this

pte thomas walter humphreys was as far as i know with the 2/10 bn london regiment "d" coy age 21 when died

You're quite lucky, that his medal card has an address on the back of it.

Looks like 9 Hare Street, Bethnal Green?

Unit was 10th London Regiment.

I can't find any service records either, but only had time for a quick look. Any more info you can supply? DOB? Place of residence etc?

Just one point - are you totally sure this is the right Thomas H? Lots to choose from...

Regards

Ian

EDIT - Took time to post.. got overtaken by the others!

The London Regiment medal roll ledger books will show the dates that a man served overseas - this is not the norm but a bonus to people researching men from the regiment. These medal rolls are held at the National Archives at Kew in London and are not online.

Steve.

Hi all thanks for your help my uncle Thomas walter Humphreys was born january1897 he was the son of george henry humphreys and matilda Humphreys

at that time they were living at 3 frimly street globe road mile end

thomas is my mothers elder brother, i do know his other brother served as well Alfred Edward Humphreys but regarding that information im clueless as to

any battles he was a part of or where in france he met his fate,

it would be nice to know what cap badge they wore and what colours and insgnia. any help whatsoever would very much be appreciated

Hello,

The 10th (County of London) Battalion, affiliated to the "Rifle Brigade". Moto " Justitia turris nostra", (Justice is our fortress). Their nickname was "The Hackney Gurkhas"!

If you have a look at "The Long, Long Trail", top of this page on the left, it should give you some information on where the 2/10th were serving when Thomas died.

The Humphrey family seems to have moved around a bit. On the 1911 census the family are living in Dixie St, Bethnal Green. As Ian has already posted, the address on the MIC is Hare St, Bethnal Green. I could well be wrong but I do not know of a Hare Street (that's certainly what it looks like) but the main road through Hackney/Bethnal Green is Mare St.

All the best.

Joe.

post-90748-0-03272700-1380800904_thumb.g

much appreciate information being put forward, i wasnt sure if this was the right cap badge because i have seen diffrent ,

but at least now i know what to look out for in any old photos.

would any one happen to have any regiment group photos ? i dont expect to be that lucky in actually finding my uncle

but to think he may have been in a group would be hopeful

• 3 weeks later...

Hello blind spot,

I found this and thought you might like it. It`s on the "Pathe News" web site. Tap "10th London Regiment" in to their search bar.

All the best. Joe.

I'm not sure if you know where he is buried?

From the Commonwealth War Graves website:
HUMPHREYS, THOMAS WALTER
Service No: 421465
Date of Death: 17/07/1918
Regiment/Service: London Regiment "D" Coy. 2nd/10th Bn.
Grave Reference: II. E. 19.
Cemetery: PERNOIS BRITISH CEMETERY, HALLOY-LES-PERNOIS
Additional Information: Son of George Henry and Matilda Humphreys, of 3, Frimley St., Globe Rd., Mile End, London.
Pernois British Cemetery was opened towards the end of April 1918, during the German advance, for burials from No.4 Casualty Clearing Station. The cemetery was closed in August.
______
CGM

I have come across Cpl AE Humphreys d 19/7/16 16th Rifle brigade

Alfred Humphreys s/33097 d 20/11/17 11th Rifle Brigade

No adresses given for next of kin,

CWGC

• 1 month later...

Blind Spot,

Thomas Humphreys arrived on the Western Front in 1917, joining the 2/10th Londons in the Bullecourt area on 30th May. The battalion moved north later that year to play their part in 3rd Ypres, before they were transferred to the Somme area in early 1918. Although they were spared the worst of the initial fighting during the German Spring Offensive, later they saw particularly heavy action around Villers Bretonneux on 24/25 April in the defence of Amiens.

My grandfather was also in the 2/10th London Regiment, and I have amassed a fair amount of information about this unit over the years. I'm pretty sure that I can shed some more light on the location and circumstances of Thomas's unfortunate demise, but I won't be able to access my notes until next week due to work commitments. I'll endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Steve B

Blind Spot,

The 2/10th Londons moved into the Yarra and Pioneer sectors, on the north side of the Albert Road on the night of July 12/13 1918. A and B Companies were forward, C was in support and D Company were in reserve. The OC of D Company at this time was Captain J S T Berrell. The following extract gives the details of what the battalion was up to during this time in the front line:

"With the exception of activity all day to and from a house by the Railway Bridge in Albert, very little enemy movement was seen, but their artillery and trench-mortars were active on our left forward Company, on the junction of Pioneer Trench and the Albert Road and on the tracks near Battalion HQ.

Our patrols pushed well forward on our right flank and though not encountering any enemy did useful reconnaissance for future patrols, and the body of Pte Biggs, of the 2/3rd Londons, was found and buried in No Man's Land.

The work executed during the tour was the completion of the wiring in the front line, demolition of the undercut recesses, and the establishment of Lewis Gun posts and other defensive work to protect our left flank.

Casualties: Killed 2, Wounded 3."

Hoep this is of use.

Steve B

Just to follow up on Steve B's posting

There are only 2 killed during the period 12th to 19th July, your uncle would therefore seem to be one and this chap the other:-

PARKES, HENRY T.. Rank: Lance Corporal. Service No: 421403. Date of Death: 15/07/1918.
Regiment/Service: London Regiment. 2nd/10th Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 88. Memorial: POZIERES MEMORIAL.
The 3 wounded all seem to have recovered (or died subsequent to the date of the report and after 19 July).
This may be the Private Biggs whose body was recovered and buried initially in No Mans Land.
BIGGS, W. Rank: Private. Service No: 250468. Date of Death: 24/06/1918.
Regiment/Service: London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). 3rd Bn.
Grave Reference: X. A. 8. Cemetery: DERNANCOURT COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION
Strange that his body has a known grave whereas Parkes has not