Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Training Reserve' unit title

old sparky

Researching the fallen commemorated on our village memorial has turned up a soldier of the '34th Training Reserve' on the CWGC site. Does this imply that my man met his death in training or is it likely that CWGC have not recorded his subsequent unit? I cant find a MIC for him either. He is 8/4864 Pte Ernest Albert Jasper who died 26th February 1917. Can anyone help please?

Peter B

Peter

His SDGW shows Died Home and 13th Bn.

LLT shows the 13th Bn Hampshires as follows

"13th (Reserve) Battalion

Formed in Parkhurst ( Isle of Wight) in October 1914 as a Service Battalion of K4 and came under orders of 96th Brigade, original 32nd Division.
April 1915 : became a Reserve battalion and moved soon afterwards to Wareham. Moved on to Bovington in September 1915.
September 1916 : moved to Wool and converted into 34th Training Reserve Battalion of 8th Reserve Brigade."

He has no medal card and no apparent papers have survived.

All told, this points to him having died whilst in training.

Hywyn

What (and indeed whose name) appears on a war memorial was decided by a local committee, not CWGC. Names appear which are not in the CWGC database (for a number of reasons).

It is quite likely that the man concerned was killed or died during training particularly if you can't find a medal card.

I can't immediately trace what 34 Training Reserve (Battalion?) was originally. I am sure someone in the Forum will. It was probably originally the nth (Reserve) Battalion of a line regiment, which would not have looked so unusual on the war memorial.

Roger.

Edit: Well done, Hywyn! We posted simultaneously. I knew someone would have the previous designations of Training Reserve Battalions at hand!

Thank you both gentlemen. Couldn't have asked for more. Interesting that this Cornishman was training in a Hampshire battalion and is now being researched by a Hampshireman in his Cornish village.

Thanks again for your timely assistance

Best regards

Peter B

Further explanation on the TR can be found on the LLT:

http://www.1914-1918.net/training_reserve.htm

Peter - Technically this was no longer a Hampshire battalion from 1 September 1916 onwards. For the period that you are looking at the TR units dropped the cap badges and shoulder titles of their former regiments and instead wore a large General Service button on a red disc on the cap and the letters TR as a shoulder title.

Marc

Peter

Have you tried looking for a Death Certificate for him? If he died in training then there should be a civilian one.

As the Bn was based in Dorset and he's buried in Cornwall, he could have conceivably died in either place, he could have been ill and sent home to recover.

Sam

Thanks Sam. It hadn't occurred to me but I'll certainly give it a go.

Peter B

The only one fitting the circumstances is Ernest A Jasper registered St Thomas District, Devon in Q1 1917. Born circa 1893.

Here's details re that District.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/st%20thomas.html

Hywyn

This is getting interesting Hywyn. The neighbouring parish to our village is, you've guessed it, 'St Thomas the Apostle' although these days it is firmly in Cornwall. OK. Red herring chased and gone. The training reserve was at Wool, Dorset, some 50 miles as the crow flies west of Exeter and the constituent parishes of St Thomas District. Is it feasible that he perhaps became ill at Wool and was transferred to a hospital in or near Exeter where he died? I guess my way forward is to get a look at the death certificate and see who registered the death and what the COD was. This is fun. Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards

Peter B

• 2 weeks later...

Update having obtained a copy death certificate for Pte Jasper!

He died of 1. Measles and 2. Broncho Pneumonia at Red Cross Hospital, Littleham, Exmouth. Death was registered by his sister who was present at his death. Exmouth is approximately half way between his home in South Petherwin Cornwall and his place of duty at Wool Dorset. The 'Occupation' box gives his home address, then 'Pte 34th T.R. Battalion', and finally '(Horseman)'. The latter I believe refers to his civilian occupation.

So. Was he medically discharged into a civilian hospital or admiitted as a soldier. If the latter why was it left to his family to register the death? There's still a story there but at the moment I'm at a loss as how I should poceed. Any suggestions?

Best regards

Peter B