Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers 319th Road Construction Company.

Nicky275

After doing some family tree research, I have discovered that my husband's Great Grandfather lost his life (aged 24) in September 1918, whilst on duty on the Arras- Cambrai Road.

I don't know much about this Company and would love to learn more, if anyone has any information. My 'Long shot' would be to find a picture of him, but I know that would be highly unlikely.

His name was Pioneer William Ellis of the 319th Road Construction Company. Aged 24, at the time of death. He is now buried at the Windmill British Cemetery in Monchy-Le-Preux.

Any information about William or even the Company itself, would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Nicky, and welcome to the Forum!

If you can get to London, you will find the unit War Diary in the National Archives at Kew in this file:

WO 95/4057 319 Road Construction Company Royal Engineers 1917 Apr. - 1918 Sept.

War Diaries rarely mention men by name other than officers, but the location of the unit, and a brief description of its activities, is given on each day.

Ron

Glad to help, Nicky!

You might also find this thread helpful:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200358

I think it's time to give you the standard Forum health warning:

Great War research can be addictive and may seriously damage the amount of your free time.

Ron

• 5 years later...

Hello Ron, just joined the forum having read your advice to Nicky.

I am looking for the War Diary for 345 Road construction from Feb 1917. Can you signpost me towards the file ref at National Archives at Kew.

I have also seen reference to the RE Museum. Grateful for any advice

Hello Matt, and welcome to the Forum!

Bad news, I'm afraid: only the War Diaries of 306 and 319 Road Construction Companies have survived at Kew. It is possible that the RE Museum have something that might help you.

Good luck!

Ron

• 2 weeks later...