Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French SADs to be commemorated ahead of centenary

Martin Bennitt

France may erect a memorial to soldiers executed for cowardice during the War ahead of the Centenary and review their cases.

Couple of stories here

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/01/france-first-world-war-soldiers-cowardice-executed-memorial

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24356041

cheers Martin B

Paul Reed's website ww1centenary.net, has an article on this and a photo of memorial at Suippes described as French Executions Memorial.

Mandy

Paul Reed's website ww1centenary.net, has an article on this and a photo of memorial at Suippes described as French Executions Memorial.

Mandy

Some who were 'shot as an example' in randomly selected batches were rehabilitated after the war and have memorials but there is no nationwide recognition, as it were.

Cheers Martin B

Some who were 'shot as an example' in randomly selected batches were rehabilitated after the war and have memorials but there is no nationwide recognition, as it were.

Cheers Martin B

The French judicial system has a procedure - the Courts of Cassation - which have the power to review and annul sentences. Several cases came before these courts in the 1920s and 30s. Perhaps the one which had caused the greatest outcry was that of two junior officers of 347 RI, Lts Herduin and Millaud who were executed at Verdun in 1916. Both were "rehabilitated " by a Cassation Court sitting at Colmar in 1926.

In that same year, four men of 336 RI, ("The Four Corporals of Souain") executed in March 1915, were rehabilitated by a court sitting inMetz. Their story was the one upon which the film "Paths of Glory" was based. There is a memorial to them in the communal cemetery at Sartilly/Manche. A book (in French) was written about the incident by a local lady in the mid 1990s

In his book "Liaison 1914" Sir Edward Spears relates a moving incident which he personally witnessed on 12 September 1914 when General de Maud'huy intervened in the process of an execution in order to explain to the condemned man why it was necessary he should die before a firing squad. The story is worth looking up if it is not known to you.

Thankyou very much Sean. I followed on from your link to find this http://www.cndp.fr/crdp-reims/memoire/lieux/1GM_CA/monuments/suippes_caporaux_souain.htm

which I did not know about.

The fresco showing the four men slumped at the execution posts is very powerful indeed, whatever tack one may take on the question of commemorations of SAD cases.

I already have my Bleuets to wear with my poppy; I am sure that I will have these men very much at the forefront of my mind when I do so.

Thanks for the link SD. Managed to get a rough translation using an online tool. I wonder if any UK councils have taken the decision to name streets etc after any of our SAD's? I doubt it.

Regards,

Sean.